From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 20:24:56 -0500
Hi All, glad I'm typing this instead of talking to anyone. My voice is gone.

To update all you non-Mass residents, House Bill 295, the Ferret Bill which
will make the ownership of the ferret legal here in MA was amended last
week.  The Senator who amended the bill, Senator Durand, was under the
impression that the bill was amended before leaving his committee, the
Senate Ways and Means Committee.  He caught the error right after it passed
the Senate and was on its way back to the House for a final enactment.  It
was at this time we were informed that the "Parchment" paper was ordered for
the bill and it would be on the Governors desk by midnight Wed 11/15.

I called the Senate Clerks office first thing on Wed morning just to make
sure my answering machine got the wrong message.  She informed me that it
was true.  Approximately 30 mintues later was when Sen.  Durand caught the
error and amended the bill.

The Mass legislature ended their session at midnight Wed night.  We all
waited up until 12 midnight (I watched it on local station).  Unfortunately,
our bill which has gone back to the house for an enactment was not read.

I was informed that the Legislature would not meet in formal sessions till
after the first of the year but would be meeting informally until then.
Tomorrow, Monday Nov 20, the House will be meeting informally and we are
hoping our bill will get read.

We just happened to have a booth at the Boston Pet Expo this weekend and it
was a HUGE SUCCESS.  We had our petition there and managed to gather 669
signatures on Saturday and 732 signatures on Sunday.  With the 516
signatures I have, that makes a total of 1,917.  With still two places left
to hand them in I do hope we get at least 2,000 signatures!!!!!  I will ask
Rep.  Jones if he wants to hand it to the Governor himself this week and at
least something with the word "FERRET" will be on the Governors desk.  We're
hoping that the BILL will be on his desk instead.

Millions of thanks to all of you who worked the booth this weekend, I know
we WILL make an impact tomorrow morning with the Reps and Sens.  We did a
lot of "ferret awareness" which I know helped a lot of the public to
understand the law and our delimma.

It is amazing to me how many people signing the petition said they either
had a ferret, own one now or know someone who has one.  I would say at least
90% of the people I talked with said this.

Joan B. got lucky and struck it rich.  She got interviewed by a woman from
WGBH (Channel 2).  Way to go Joan!

We met the photographer that Mary from Modern Ferret uses.  He had a booth
there.  Also, there was a woman, Michelle's Minagerie, who had two fuzzies
there.  She is licensed to own them for education.  I have caught her show
on local cable access.  She got real "educated" by us.  Gave her all of our
literature on ferrets plus phone numbers and resources for her to use.

Hopefully, next years Pet Expo will be a bit easier for us.  I hope we won't
have petitions for people to sign, but instead, be legal once and for all.
That way there, we can do education and ferret awareness.

Again, thanks to:

Lee - giving up 3 nights, thanks for setting us up and breaking us down,
also for writing all those numbers.  Made today much easier!!!!
Geri - for holding the torch all those previous years - you have plenty of
help now!!!
Tricia & Joe - for coming both days, providing your expertise, HOWS THE
FOOTBALL GAME TRICIA?  Answering some tough questions people had.  Joe,
thanks for "watching the table".
Bill W. - What can I say Bill, the guy who at 4AM this morning was making
photo copies for us. Thanks so much for both days.  Hope Susie is happy she
has you back.
Mason - For sharing his expertise (hope I'm spelling expertise right), hope
we never have to meet at another Counties Committee again and instead the
next time we meet is at our own first Ferret Awareness day.
Dick and Joan B. - Wow, you guys are fantastic, got me out of a couple of
jams answering some great questions, Dick had a beautiful sand cast of a
ferrret, stood out by the front of the booth, drew a lot of attention.  Had
me do a couple of double takes!  Joan, hope your feet feel okay.  Thanks for
both days.
Joe and Ed - Thanks for coming and helping with the petition!  Jo I hope your
"writers" cramp goes away.  Ed, thanks for stalking the crowd for us.
Bill S. - Glad you came so we could meet you!  Again thanks for the
signatures you gathered.
Paul Z - Give Sen. Tisei another chance, I think after tomorrow it WILL be
important to him - thanks Paul you did a great job getting those
signatures!!!
Jennifer L - Hope to see you again soon.  Thanks for helping with the
petition and taking over for Jo.  I hope all those people WILL call their
Reps and Sens tomorrow.
Ronnie - your banner was beautiful.  Will definately send the picture we
took to the California people.  I know it was a last minute thing for you to
do, but it looked great!!!!  Thanks to you too for your help with getting
those needed signatures.
Jan - If it wasn't for your tables, we would have had a BIG problem.  Thanks
Jan again for letting us use them.

I hope I didn't leave anyone out, if I did, sorry, its been a busy weekend
and I'm tired.  WIll keep you all posted as to what happens next.

Sharon Burbine,
Mass Friends Group