From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:42:23 -0400
Hi, Mark,

>I'm thinking of getting a playmate for Sera.  I've been kind of worried
>about getting a "normal" sized ferret because Sera is so tiny.

Don't worry about that.  We have an extra petite ferret.  Romana is just
about one whole pound.  She is also pretty high up the pecking ordr, and
can easily hold her own against Kodo, who is three times her size.
Pertwee, who is just a little smaller than Kodo, regularly gets trounced
by her in wrestling matches.  She also rides Adric (another good size boy)
like he was a pony.  These little girls get along just fine.

>There's the cutest little female at the pet shop who is only about 1.5
>times Sera's size.

Please get a companion from a shelter rather than from a pet store.  The
shelters are just overwhelmed right now.  I know at least one of the
shelters in my area has five month old kits available if you want a
younger ferret.  Besides, shelters cost a whole lot less than the pet
store, and your new addition will be up to date on his or her shots and
might even be litter trained.  Shelters are a good deal all the way
around.

>The only concern is that she's only got 3 feet.  Her right front foot is
>just a nub.  Is there anything special I need to do to accomodate her?

Nope.  A friend of mine has a little girl who had her foot amputated.
She gets around just fine, and does walk, run, and climb on the stump.  I
think you'll find that she likely doesn't have any special needs at all,
though I would certainly have a vet look at it to be sure on the first
checkup and vaccination visit.

>The only thing I noticed about her in the store was that she could not
>climb on the cage like the other ferrets.

Give her time.  She probably will :)

>One more question.  Sera is about 10 - 12 weeks old and she's much smaller
>than the other ferrets in the pet store.  They are all 1 to 2 weeks older
>than she is.  Can I expect her to get much larger?

Yes!  Much larger!  Female ferts, full grown, are typically between three
quarters of a pound and two and a quarter pounds.  There are exceptions.
My Nyssa gets up to two and three quarters pounds in the winter, and is
over two and a quarter even in the summer.  She is a *big* girl.  Again,
even if Sera is the runt of the litter and remains tiny, she'll handle the
big boys just fine.

Good luck!
Caity and the terrific 10
(Tenchi, Adric, Kerr Avon, Nyssa, Ryo-Ohki, Lady Ayeka, Pertwee, Romana,
Kodo, and Podo)