From:
Diana Bachman Frosty Paws Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 09:19:43 EST
I would like to respond to Rebecca Stoudt's post regarding a universal
color chart.

It is a good idea, but, unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen!  There are
too many "personalities" involved in the different organizations that seem
to be afraid of a loss of control or power if God forbid another group
would use their same terminology or standards.

Many years ago, I was involved in a committee made up of representatives
of at least 4 prominent ferret organizations, that was designed to come
up with a standard judging, scoring, and I believe color standard for ALL
ferret organizations to use.  Well, needless to say, it didn't fly, as
politics of course got in the way.  This person was calling that person
discussing things without the other committee members knowledge, and
agreeing to how things were to be done.  By the time a meeting was
scheduled, all the little "sub-groups" had figured out how THEY wanted
things to be, and discussion was a moot point.  This group met a fairly
quick death, as the real back-stabbing and name calling soon began.

So, unfortunately, Rebecca, although you have a sound idea, with the
mentality of many in the ferret world, I can't see the day coming.  You
still hear a variety of names for the different silvers...who here knows
what a platinum or argent or pewter silver is?  (FYI, that's a light,
medium, and a dark silver.) Another group has an entirely different name
for the dark silvers!  And cinnamon is another example ... champagne,
butterscotch...they are all different shades of cinnamon.  It is all
semantics!

Di Bachman
Frosty Paws Ferrets