From:
Kathy Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:20:41 -0600
Hi Everyone

I agree with Steve's post and several others about breeding ferrets for
specifics.  All my ferrets and both my dogs are mutts and I wouldn't
trade them for the world.

Fortunately what is being done to dogs and cats has not entered the ferret
world, and thank God for that.  I had this discussion with my vet once.  I
made the mistake of mentioning to my vet that the day before I had watched
one of the big dog shows on T.V.  I thought I saw his face turn red on the
spot.  His view was that it only promotes and emphasizes the perfect
breeding of an animal and for this the not so perfect suffer.  The
imperfect ones end up in our pet stores, being sold privately, and being
put down.  This also holds true for cats.  I know that retired Greyhounds
(the dog) are usually put down when their racing career is over, thats
about the age of three or four.  If race horses injure themselves in a
race, going lame for example, they are put down on the spot at the age of
two or three.  I have seen this done.

I am happy with my ferrets just the way they are.  Happy, healthy and fun.
To be honest I don't even care about color, sex, or body style, although
the idea of an agreed upon color chart would be a cool idea.  In the
altered words of a famous movie-"Ferrets are like a box of chocolates,
you never know what your gonna get".<grin> I personally like it that way.

Kathy and the Ferret Collective