From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:01:47 -0400
>From:    dma <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Are ferrets dangerous to babies?

I have no solid information either way, only a personal opinion.  My grand
daughter visits often.  We keep the ferrets caged when she is here.  (She is
10 months old.) I expect to continue that practice till such time as she is
walking and doesn't get over excited at the sight of animals.  At such time
I _may_ decide to allow the ferrets out ocaasionally in her presence but
only while _under_ _supervision_.  I have a 12 year old nephew who visits
and is very easily excited.  I do not allow the ferrets out while he's
around nor does he handle them except for a few minutes under strict
supervision.  (He also goes crazy around the cats and causes them to run for
cover when he visits!) On the other hand I have a 7 year old niece who is
extremely quiet and will lie on the floor for long periods of time just
watching the ferrets do ferret things.  While I maintain supervision, its
not nearly so close.

My opinion is that children must be supervised when they are with any
animal.  When they learn how animals react to them and learn the correct way
to behave with animals then some latitude can be allowed.  I think ferrets
are an easily excited animal (that's one of the nice things about them -
they obviously enjoy life so much) so mixing them with young children (who
are also naturally excitable) requires supervision and management.

>On a lighter note, I would also like to ask that whoever was going to sew up
>their couch to keep the ferrets out, could you please let us know if it
>worked and how you did it?

I upended all our soft furniture and replaced the backing with a close
weave, relatively thick material which could be "nailed" on with tacks much
as the original loose weave backing was.  We've had no break-ins in three
years although one them has occasional days when she will scratch at the new
backing for hours.

>From:    "Brown, Peter M." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: My poor Ferrets
>I come home every weekend, but I _hate_ that I have to leave them alone
>together for so long...

I hate to hear of any animal being left alone for long periods of time,
particularly ferrets that can get into so much trouble.  Please find a way
to get them with you.

You don't say whether "have no final choice in flights or carriers" is
because of cost containment in an employer's travel department.  If so you
may be able to "pay the difference" and choose your own carrier.  Many
employers will allow that.

Maybe a cheap rental car and drive MD to FL with them instead of flying.
(You don't say if you could stay full time in FL till the end of summer.) If
you can get someone to share the driving you might be able to work a weekend
round trip (Fl to MD, pick them up, then MD to FL).  That would avoid the
car drop off charges, save the airline ticket and the only inconvenience is
that you do a _lot_ of driving and not much else for one weekend.  Many
rental agencies offer free mileage on a round trip.  You don't say where in
Florida or Maryland but Washington DC to Miami is 19 hours 43 minutes (1068
miles) at posted speed limits according to Microsoft's online route planner.
(Jacksonville FL is a lot less!) A late Friday afternoon departure with
early Monday arrival and two drivers makes that a plausible trip.  (I drive
a lot and find 500-800 miles per driver per day on the highway is acceptable-
depends on traffic volume - if you get a good nights rest and take rest
stops.)