From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 10:29:08 -0400
To Clint Mahoney, who asked about keeping Elmer on a balcony:

     It sounds like a good idea, but I think the temperatures you're
talking about may be a bit too much.  Without shade and cool water,
even temps in the 80s can be life-threatening to ferrets.  I know
Elmer would have a shade, but I noticed during the hot weather here
last week (it was 90 -- indoors) that our ferrets were pretty wiped
out by it.
     Is there some way you could partition off a small area in your
apartment -- maybe his cage -- and put in a cat door for him, so he
can come inside if he gets too hot?  I've seen some cat-door sections
for sliding glass doors that might work well.
     As for mosquitoes, check with your vet about preventative
medicine for heartworm.  I can send you the info Dr. Williams posted a
week or so ago if you'd like.

Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]> said:

> Following up on a hunch, I discovered that Minneapolis, MN
> is a FFZ.  Please change the FAQ to reflect this,

Got it. :-)  Also the suburbs you mentioned.

- Pam in Rochester, NY  ([log in to unmask])
friend to Pixxel and Rusty the torpedoferrets
Ferret FAQ 1.2: rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/pet-ferret-faq/general