From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 09:43:54 -0400
To Scott and the girls (and everyone else) concerning big spleens...

        I often get questions about big spleens in ferrets.  This is a very
common finding on physical exam - notice I say "finding" rather than "problem".
No one is quite sure about the cause of this finding - some people think it may
be viral, some believe it may result from chronic smouldering infection.

        I look at quite a few spleens on a yearly basis.  Over 90% do not have
tumors - they are simply a combination of congestion with blood and a large
number of blood cell precursors - immature cells which make red and white blood
cells.  In general, the presence of immature blood cells suggests a demand for
these cells elsewhere in the body and suggests either anemia or chronic
inflammation.  Most of the animals are not anemic, so chronic inflammation is
the most likely culprit.  (My personal view is that the presence of Helicobacter
mustelae, a common gstric infection in ferrets may have something to do with
splenomegaly.  Helicobacter is renowned for causing a significant, but largely
asymptomatic inflammatory lesion in the stomach.)

        The other 10% of enlarged spleens generally do fall into the neoplasm
category - primarily lymphosarcomas, rarely sarcomas of other types.

        The only way to tell what is going on in a spleen is generally to remove
it and have it looked at by a pathologist.  Aspirating a few cells out of it
with a needle may give a diagnosis inthe case of splenic lymphosarcoma, but is
not very useful overall.

        The way I proceed with the big spleen - if the animal is lethargic, or
won't eat, and other causes have been ruled out, then I would suggest removing
the spleen and having it evaluated.  However, if other diseases are present, or
the animal is doing well, the presence of a big spleen shouldn't necessitate
surgery.

        Removal of an enlarged spleen in a lethargic ferret generally restores
vitality.  A grossly enlarged spleen will cuases compression and displacemnt of
surrounding organs.  Imagine if your spleen wiehged 40 pounds - you wouldn't
want to play much either!!!

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000