From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:42:37 -0500
Okay, just got the letter back from California and it is just INCREDIBLY
DIFFERENT from all of the rest so far, but I've lost Jeanne's e-mail address
so would someone make sure she gets a major "heads up" on this, PLEASE?
Looks like copies all the CDC/KSU studies once published AND the existing
European studies should go to this person along with some level-headed,
unemotional sales-talk.  HE PROBABLY NEEDS BABYING AND SHOULD NOT BE
ANGERED.  The list of other states which ARE going with the change in the
'98 Compendium might make a big difference when done; if not, then it should
have an effect with the press and other media there.  Steve's comment was,
"I'm so glad we don't live in California...".

Kevin Reilly, D.V.M., M.P.V.M., Chief, Veterinary Public Health Section,
California Department of Health Services, 714/744 P Street, P.O. Box
942732, Sacramento, CA 94234-7320 (1-916-327-0332); excerpt other than intro
and closing politenesses:

"...I am aware that the National Association of State Public Health
Veterinarians (NASPHV) is contemplating a modification to their
recommendations on the disposition of domestic ferrets following a human
bite or potential exposure to a suspect rabid animal.  However, I am not
aware of the NASPV having published such recommendations, or the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention having adopted them.  I have not seen good
published studies on experimental rabies infection in ferrets other than the
recent work by Niezgoda, et.  al.  Published in the American Journal of
Veterinary Research.  The California Department of Health Services will not
be making any changes to rabies control procedures used in the State in
regards to ferrets until we have had an opportunity to review the published
NASPHV recommendations and any additional experimental evidence published in
the peer reviewed scientific literature."

(The errors above are their's, BTW.)

Montana's letter was short and sweet which says that perhaps their person's
heart is as big and rich as the sky in the Treasure State.

Todd Damrow, PhD, M.P.H., State Epidemiologist, Department of Public Health
and Human Services, Cogswell Building, Helena (406 -- of course -- 444-3986):

"The State of Montana, according to law, adopts and incorporates by
reference "Compendium of Animal Rabies Control"."