From:
Rick Lemker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 13:48:24 -0500
Though I'm no longer thrilled by Halloween, the children enjoy it, so Tues.
PM I caved in and bought a bag of candy bars to hand out.  The munchkins
were happy.

Thursday PM bedtime I tipped the sofa up on its end and out dropped two
yawning ferrets.  Ho-hum ...  just like every other night.  I was in the
middle of a good yawn/belly-scratch myself when half a gnawed candy bar
dropped out too.  Both the paper and a good portion of candy bar were
missing from each end.  Daaaiiieeee!  Remember that spaghetti scene in 'Lady
and the Tramp?' Well ...  this scene was less comical.  They must've run out
of gut room before they ran out of candy.

Friday AM the litterbox was a disaster area -- thoughts of skipping work
briefly crossed my mind -- but the water bottle had been half emptied, which
meant they were drinking two to three times their normal amount without any
prompting.  Both were active, alert, and eating their regular food.  Plus,
the little porkers have put on a pound or two in the last 8 weeks.  (Old
lard-butt Woodrow can't even fit under the hall closet door [a 1 1/2" space]
any more, and Arlo, who used to shoot right in, has to do quite a bit of
back leg pumping to squeeze his ample derriere through).  I cleaned the
litter box, refilled the water bottle, and went to work.  (I know, I know.
I'm hopelessly undevoted.)

Friday PM they were still shaking off the last effects of their
indiscretion, but were ready as ever for a round of chase-me-chase-you.
They really *are* resilient little buggers, aren't they.  A game of
toss-us-on-the-bed was declined by me, not them, because their bellies
hadn't quite settled down yet, and a mistake on the comforter was all too
likely.

By Sat. AM things were pretty much back to normal.  Other than the 20 hr.
bout of Monty's revenge, there weren't any other outward signs.  They didn't
even lose much weight -- a 1/4 lb. at the most.

You may recall that the boys and I have been battling for control of the
sofas and boxsprings.  Theoretically, they're not as smart as I am, though
that's not a given.  It *can* be empirically proven that I outweigh them by
a large margin, so you'd think they'd be prohibitive underdogs in a
head-to-head competition regardless of my stupidity.  Nope.  "If you can't
beat 'em, join 'em" is my new philosophy.  You know your ferrets are spoiled
when you sacrifice a sofa to them in the hope that they'll spare what's left
of the furniture.  If not, there're a couple of ferrets that better take a
good, hard look at the oh-so-short remainder of their lives.  I keep telling
'em they'd make a fine hat or vest, but they think I'm only kidding.

And I still don't know where they found that derned candy bar ...  unless
they put the tupperware lid back on???

Next comes Xmas and tinsel and ornaments.  Oh joy.  At least the fleas are
finally in retreat.

Swampp