From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 08:14:59 -0400
Good day all!

Our local ferret club, the Star City Ferret Club, is hosting a
multi-family yard sale this coming Saturday, May 13 in Roanoke Virginia.
All proceeds are to benefit the ferrets at the Big Lick Ferret Shelter &
Hospice.  If there are any VA ferret enthusiasts that read this list, we
would love to have you come by and introduce yourselves.  The event is to
start at 7:00 a.m., rain or shine.

The address is:
1712 Sherwood Ave
Roanoke VA

We currently have 33 ferrets in our guardianship looking for forever
homes, some are special needs kids but most are quite fat & happy.  The
special needs kids will be requiring surgery or daily medications for
their conditions, thus the shelter is always needing funds, as most
ferret shelters are.  We thought we had saved up enough to schedule at
least one surgery, however within the last week and a half we had two
separate surrenders that had emergency needs.  Sadly neither pulled thru;
one (Sugarcane) was so riddled with cancer he didn't make it thru the
surgery and the latest one (Peppy) had a urinary blockage so severe by
the time he came to us even immediate emergency treatment in the hands of
a very caring emergency veterinarian couldn't save him.  Jane & I made
sure he wasn't alone when he passed, both holding him in turn, talking to
him & stroking his body so he knew he was loved.  The stuff they got out
of the poor little boy's bladder was so thick, pus laden and red, they
couldn't get it out of the syringe to do a culture.  He had to be in
extreme pain.  I can't fathom what he went thru... And it's still illegal
to shoot stupid!

Okay, I'm done with my soap box... Thanks for letting me vent.  And I
hope to see some new ferret friends join us at the event this Saturday.

Hugs to the fuzzies!

Debbie Saunders
Director/Shelter Mom
http://www.biglickferretshelter.org