From:
Rich & Mary Jo Dullum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:53:17 -0700
Greetings to all the fuzzy slaves/lovers.  Hope you and all your little
ones are doing well.

I feel I have to respond to a post in yesterday's digest.  Mainly because
I belong to one of the clubs this person has referred to and am trying to
help in a small way the club that is trying to get started called Ferrets
on the Loose AZ.  This person has brought up the fact that the one club
has some un-altered ferrets.  I do agree, this is not a good thing.  We
don't want these little guys being used as breeders.  But, she stated

>...we cannot even help the ones that are put to sleep in tucson alone..
>did you know that the figure is over 63,000.00?  and thats in tucson...

One of the board members of the Tucson club/shelter has checked and we
can't understand where she could have come up with that figure.  My gosh,
that's quite an amount.  Just where is this information from?

She has also stated
>...i dont belong to any club because i feel the abuse in any form is not
>acceptable and there is a club here that has someone who does endorse
>flicking ferrets and well if its abuse in a child why wouldnt it be abuse
>in an animal?

I do agree that is abuse.  But the way she has posted, it's like all the
members of this club disclipine their ferrets in this manner.  I know for
a fact there was one, but the best way to change this and prevent others
from adopting this form of dicipline is to join the club and help out by
showing the correct way to dicipline.

When I got my first ferret, I was taught by one of these members, who
also was a vet employee, that flicking or slapping on the nose is the
correct method.  I have since learned, a long time ago, that is not how
you dicipline.  Love and patience is the way to go.  I learned this
through other members of the club and also by reading, reading and
reading (specially Modern Ferret).

The best method if you don't like the way dicipline is handled, is to
teach others, Don't bad mouth the club, but join and possibly help out.
The club she refers to in Tucson has many hard working, loving, and caring
members who wouldn't raise a hand to any of their ferrets.  The idea of
one member giving the whole club a bad name and then someone who isn't
even a member spreading this just defeats all the good the club has tried
to accomplish.

I don't want to start any flames with this, but felt we needed to curtail
any bad info on the club in Tucson.  It is a great club/shelter and they
are doing their best with the resources and people who are willing to put
their time and effort forth in this endevor.

Best of everything for everyone and all their little fuzzies out there.
They're the greatest little pets you could ask for.

mjo & the zoo, Lady Star, Topanga, Ragine, Bilbo, Frito, Pepper, Sassy,
Frosty, Sabrina, and the dogs Garth & Darwin (R.I.P.  Nipper, Lightning,
EZ, Cleo, Phantom, Caesar, Frodo, Tasha & Duke)