From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:38:02 EST
>I was wondering what the consensus is now regarding feeding corn and corn
>products to ferrets.  I remember back in 1983 when I got my first ferret I
>was warned by the petshop NOT to feed it corn or anything with corn in it.

Gary,

The data seems to indicate that nothing has changed.  Fox in the 1998
edition of "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret" said that " A large
commercial colony experience an outbreak of bladder calculi.  Five to ten
percent of pregnant jills eating a diet containing mainly plant protein
developed struvite bladder stones.... Apparently, any ferret eating a
diet having ground yellow corn as its primary ingredient can develop these
urinary stones."

Dick B.