From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:38:05 +0800
>From:    Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
>A positive note I can mention is of Sam's New Zeland ferrets, the only
>one I so far found with any sickness symptom has been exposed to a known
>positive aleutions' ferret that came from a United States facility.  He
>did not give it to the other ferret.

I am assuming that you are talking of Judy Gronwald's ferrets White Russian
(from myself (bred by Nature's Den)) and Charlie (bred by Sam).  If so,
then you cannot claim that fact.  Judy got Russian first, then Charlie.
Charlie got sick first, then Russian.  So who became active from who?
This is unknown and most intriguing.

>I find it a mind bender that the Great Lakes ferret association that this
>person is a part of I'm told is refusing to post the information that the
>ferret is contageous in their news letter, even though he's been handled
>at shows in the area. .  Flames on this will not be read or responded to.
>Life is too short and energy too little to waste on that.  The pace of
>dangers we are having to face seems to be accelerating, and the time to
>lead, follow, or get out of the way has come.  I personally will try to
>do some of all three.

When it was found that ferrets from me were testing positive, I contacted
all I could and also contacted the GLFA.  Not sure if they did anything
about it as I am no longer a memeber or live in the state - let alone the
same country.  Not sure if you are talking of somebody else or not . . .

>An important fact to prevent panic is that an early casual study done in
>the 1980's by Dr. Susan Brown tested over 500 shelter ferrets using the
>United Vaccines CEP test.  Approximately 10% tested positive for ADV,
>however only two of those ferrets went on to develop clinical signs
>consistent with ADV.  There are two points to be gained from this study.
>One is that ADV is not uncommon in the general ferret population, and
>two that many if not the majority of clinically normal ferrets that test
>positive of the CEP test for ADV will not develop clinically evident signs
>of AD.  Details are at http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/med-info.html

Yes - but that was the 1980's.  ADV *has* mutated!  Bet your life on it.