From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:16:43 -0500
Yes, Caity, it can be expensive as you pointed out.  I agree with you.
We have seven ferrets and right now we have a clump of most of them in
the same age bracket, all of which are developing health problems (most
typical ones, but one with an unusual complication, and two with
non-standard chronic health problems).  So far this year our ferret costs
have been $10,832, with most of that for vet care, and on Wednesday we
will have another over $400 vet bill run up and paid.  (We are in one of
the most expensive parts of the nation so figure that may be halved in
the cheapest areas for someone in this situation.) We handle it by keeping
our ferret numbers within limits (and will not be replacing some of our
current batch when they finally pass away due to other monetary concerns),
by budgeting ahead of time and keeping weekly budget books each year, and
by saving money ahead of time.  Others get insurance; see my recent post
for resources list.  When the number exceeds the budgeted number we give
up some other expenses.  This year we gave up a vacation and floor
replacements.

Pam Troutman wrote one that I haven't seen out in bookstores, but have
seen at shelter locations' sale lists through the years.  Paul Collin's
has a middle school one _The Great Ferret Race_ which is available at
Amazon and I think at some bookstores.