From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:32:27 -0800
Hi Folks.

I have to say, I am surprised by people's ability to misread things, or at
least to read into things so well.  I must say, I have taken exception to
things Lisette has said in the past, but this has only led to more
productive discussion.  The retaliations of some of the people on this
list to her comments regarding sanitation are unbelieveable.

In the first place, at no time do I recall Lisette making any outright
claims.  The only things she claimed were that SHE had witnessed poor
practices at HER vet, and that no one so far had written to her about a
vet that had GOOD practices, only about poor ones.  She then stated that
based on that evidence she could only make certain very uncomfortable
conclusions.  This is perfectly understandable, and I personally took
this post as an invitation for those of us who's vets do practice proper
sanitation, etc., to respond.  And I am CERTAIN that Lisette is probably
just as happy to learn of so many GOOD vets as she was disappointed to
hear of so many poor ones.

And second, rather than calling her a liar, or insinuating that she is
making inflamatory statements, or assuming that your interpretation of her
statements is true, however far it is from what she actually said, why
don't we try to have a good discussion about this?  It is, after all, a
matter concerning ALL ferret lovers, and in fact, anyone who has the best
interest of ANY of their pets in mind.  Though Lisette may not have had
enough information, or a good test group, to get really proper statistics,
her heart and her head were in the right place when she brought up her
concerns.  And I believe her ONLY reason for doing so was to help raise
awareness.  Too many of us might take for granted the thought that, "Of
course my vet does that, don't all vets?" without ever seeing it actually
happen, or being certain at all.  Lisette's question provoked each of us
to consider the habits of our vets, and for that, she should be commended.
Thanks Lisette!!!

On that note, I'd like to add another good vet, name and location and all.
I use Pitts Veterinary Hospital, in Lincoln, NE.  And I know I am not the
only person on this list who does so.  They are terrific.  Sinks in every
room, the vets not only wash their hands between visitors to each room, but
I have personally witnessed them washing their hands between handling one
of my ferrets and another.  I have never seen them disinfect the
examination surface before my visits.  But that is because as soon as my
guys are in the cage and headed out of the room, they are already scrubbing
the counter.  And I have been asked to wait even though a room was empty
because it had not been long enough since the last examination in that
room.  Add this to the fact that these vets are REALLY good, extremely
experienced, and wonderful with my ferrets, and we have a vet whom I would
recommend to ANYONE who lives in the Lincoln area!

One last thing.  I used to work in day care.  While at the infant/toddler
center, I was introduced to stuff called Vi-Rid.  This is a non-toxic, OSHA
certified disinfectant, which we used on changing tables, high-chair trays,
toys, and anything else which might touch baby hands, lips, etc.  I don't
know if it would transfer to veterinary uses, but I can't imagine why it
wouldn't.  The sanitary practices involved are much the same, and in order
for it to be OSHA certified, the disinfectant must be effective for any and
all spreadable diseases, including blood-born pathogens such as hepatitis
and AIDS....

Melissa Barnes
www.geocities.com/lostferrets