Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 08:22:03 -0700
I find it disconcerting that some people felt it necessary to post
negative remarks about the quantities of ferrets being listed on the
giving tree. I don't consider my ferret home a "shelter" per se; but
every last ferret I have has been a rescue or regime from one situation
or another. I was up to 12 at once, and considering like most shelters
the ferrets showing up on their doorsteps have already passed the prime
of their short lives, so now I'm down to 8 in house. I have friends
that do run actual named shelters and it amazes me they do so under
similar budget constraints as my own. They offer shelter to several
dozens of ferrets at each shelter; facing daily what ferrants with
a or pair do but multiplied twenty fold! The poop scooping, bedding
cleaning, the feeding, dishes, vet trips, cage cleaning and this
doesn't begin to cover the time spent transporting and where do they
manage to find time to work, take care of their own homes, or even
families? I applaud these people able to do more than I can.

why shouldn't they en able to list up to 20 ferrets on the tree? For
gosh sakes if they've listed that many think of the ones they have to
care for that didn't get listed!

If some people take issue with the quantities of ferrets listed well
then simply pass by the giving tree posts and move on. But don't berate
those who participate in giving every day to many more than 20 ferrets.
The giving tree is something that happens once a year. Large shelters
give every day of each year! Don't begrudge them their chance to offer
a smidgeon extra on behalf of others able to share; and don't attempt
to make them feel guilty for asking for that smidgeon extra!

Regards,
Kim