"caride:First caride:Last" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 00:58:33 -0000
>Why do people insist on bringing every controversy to this forum?

What makes one public forum different from any other that has been posted
to on the subject?  My post have only delt with myself and my Ferrets.
Judith may be advising me, but I am not her nor is she me.  It seems to me
too many people are getting us confused.  Judith and I do not do things the
same way.  She is walking me through my first breeding season, So that I
know what to expect and look for.

>Nickelodeon's father tested positive for ADV.  Some of Nickelodeon's
>siblings (perhaps half-siblings) also tested positive.  But not all the
>ADV positive and negative siblings had been named.  Nor whether all had
>indeed been tested.

Nickelodeon has tested Negative Twice at Judi's home and at least once at
His previous home.  There is just simply no reason for me to be concerned
about my ferrets.  This is not to say Everyone should not use caution, but
that my ferrets are no more in danger of getting this disease than yours
are.

>Judith Moon didn't think to mention her particular ferret that has just
>sired a new litter was not one who tested positive but had in fact tested
>negative more than once.

Again, I don't speak for Judith, only for myself.  You will have to ask her
why she did not mention this fact.

>Once the question was answered the topic was closed - except for those
>that are trying to make a disease a political weapon.  There is a group
>that is using ADV has a bludgeon to beat off their competition.  By
>incorrectly turning a simple question into a personal assault like this
>is letting ADV become a stigma.  Its NOT; its a virus.  Same as ECE.
>Same as influenza but more serious.  Thats all.  Its not evil to have a
>ferret with the flu nor to have a ferret with ADV.

Then with this being said I think we should end this debate concerning ADV
and my Ferrets.  My Ferrets are clean.  and have in no way been exposed to
ADV.  I will not join people in what would seem hysteria over a virus.  I
am greatful that the person came out with the fact a relative of my ferret
has been tested positive for it.  However the "flames" I've recieved over
my personal e-mail I feel have been uncalled for.  Both mine and The owner
of White Russian's posts having come out in the same issue didn't seem to
help things.  If I seem a bit on the defensive, it is because I am taking
out The anger and frustration that has been building up due personal mail
recieved, on some people undeserving.  It is hard to accept critical mail
if you recieve 30 + hate, Flames, and or threat letters in a day, simply
due to the timing of a couple posts.  As some have suggested I will be
doing more resurch into ADV,

I would like to ask how other ferretries and Shelters plan to handle this
problem.  Do you have every one of your ferrets tested on a yearly basis?
Are you willing to make the test results public knowledge?  Do you test
every ferret that enters your shelter reguardless of current health?  If
you plan to breed outside of your ferretry, Do you make sure the person
produces vet documents stating the ferret is ADV free.  I would really
like to know how other people handle ADV in reguards to their shelters and
Ferretries.

Trish
Dawning Sky Ferrets
http://home.earhlink.net/~caride/