Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:13:19 -0500
hi everyone,
I just wanted to say a couple of things and I hope they are not to negative.
I have just rescued a little female ferret from a animal shelter in
Longview, Texas.  She has not been spayed or desented and she is the second
non fixed ferret I have rescued from this shelter in the last couple of
months.  I live in Greenville, Texas, about 45 mins from Dallas.  What I
have noticed is A lot of people around here have started breeding ferrets
and selling them at the trades day they hold in Canton every month.  Those
of u in Texas will know what im talking about.  THese are the same people
who are mass breeding rodents, birds, reptiles, and running the local puppy
mills.  The problem is that most of these people know very little about
ferrets and are only in it for the money.  I am also aware that this problem
is spreading all the country.  I know that Patricia Curtis had taken in a
bunch of ferrets who I believe had been bred under similar circumstances.
(forgive me Trish if I have just lied) My main concern is this.  A lot of
these people are passing off these ferrets as neutered and spayed ferrets to
people who do not know the difference.  I know for a fact the guy who bred
the first male i rescued was telling his customers they were neutered and
spayed.  I am also willing to bet there are a lot of people who have had
female ferrets go into heat and die without knowing why.  I personally do
not approve of people breeding animals they know nothing about, and I really
believe the problem is going to get worse, a lot of innocent ferrets are
going to die with ther only crime being that they were born.  I think
another problem is that when some people get these non fixed ferrets
unbeknowest to them, and they then find out they are going to have to have
there ferret fixed and its going to cost them arount 150 to 180 dollars
(thats the price at the vets in Longview and Greenville, i know its much
lower in some places) they then just dump their ferrets off at the local
animal shelter or just turn them lose out side not knowing or not caring
that they will die.  I have seen this happen.  People do it with dogs and
cats all the time.  Alot of the local animal shelters, expecially in smaller
towns, are not able to find homes for lost of stray ferrets and do not know
how to care for them so they put them to sleep.

The question is this: What can we do to help?  Well ill tell u!  Everyone
should contact they're local animal shelters and let them know that there is
never a reason to put a healthy ferret to sleep.  Let them know there are
people out there who will take these ferrets and take full financial
responsibility for them.  The animal shelter in gregg county(the one in
Longview) calls me everytime they get a ferret in and they gladly just give
them to me at no cost.  They even gave a pair of chinchillas someone had
dumped off on their doorstep.  (the female was pregnant and just had two
adorable little babies).  Most shelters are eager to help and find a home
for all their animals.  Make the animal shelters a list of nearby ferret
shelters and contacts.  Now about people breeding there own ferrets and
selling them there self.  Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do about
that.  Some of the things you can do if if u know some one who is doing this
is to try and educate them.  You could also make up a little FAQ sheets with
some shelter names, ferret vets, and contacts and ask the breeders to give
them out whenever they sell there ferrets.  Just do the anything u can, im
sure our ferrets would do the same for us.  This is the advise Patricia
Curtis gave me when I called her and asked her about these breeders.  I
personally try and rescue every little fuzzie i can from any animal shelter.
If I cant take care of them i find somebody who can.  This last one i
rescued only cost me a little gas, two hours of my time, and 30 dollars at
the vet for shots and a check up.  (Actually cost my mom 30 dollars, hehe,
thanks mom :) ) Im sorry this was so long.  Just remember, if we all do a
little, a lot gets done!

Kisses to all the fuzzies out there
Tears to all who have lost a ferret (it was just over a year ago I lost my
very first ferret Kesiah and I still miss her)

And a very special congradulations to Patricia Curtis on her continuing
success with her two little biters (she is one of the nicest, most
informative and helpful people i have met in a long time.)

Thanks to all for listening, lets make this a ferret friendly world!

Chris