From:
Natasha Mohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 06:27:47 -0700
Thank you, Sandee, for checking on Joey.  You are wonderful.
 ---

>What I'm curious about is, why at the age of 4 is she now having a
>reaction?

Your description of the reaction -- bright red, fuzzed tail -- sounds like
exactly what happened to my Xena last year.  Hers was a reaction to Galaxy
D, BTW, which I was told was less likely to produce such a reaction.  (Ah,
well!) Lucky for us, we take all five in at the same time, and she was the
first one vaccinated, so we were still right there in the room with the vet
when her reaction began.  We heard her vomit, and when we pulled her out
of the carrier she was beet red, gasping, and more bottle-brushed than I'd
*ever* seen!  The vet rushed her into the back room and gave oxygen and
epinephrine.  We really came close to losing her -- if we hadn't been right
there with the vet when it happened, I don't know if she would've made it.
I asked the vet the same question as you -- why now?  Xena was three last
year when this happened.  The vet just said, "You never know." *sigh*  So
now Xena is an unvaccinated furball.  I worry terribly about this, but I
know her chances of getting distemper are small compared to her chances
of dying from another reaction, even if we pre-medicate.
 ---

I know I've seen discussions about cleaners before, so I have a couple of
questions.  First, would Simple Green be a safe cleaner for fuzzy cages?
And second, what is the ingredient in Pine Sol and other similar cleaners
that is toxic?  I know this was mentioned before, but I can't remember
what it was.

-Tasha