From:
"Sandy E. Schieman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 23:11:41 EST
Kelleen,

I just 'flashed' my response to you regarding this hate letter which you
recieved today and forwarded to me for my comment.  I thank you, publicly,
for the trust that you implied in me by doing so.  I was surprised and
deeply disturbed when this letter came in just now.  I wish that you had
never had to send it.  By now you should have my personal note to you - we
shall keep that private between us - you know how I feel.

I write now to the members of the FML at large, if BIG will permit me to do
so.  If not, I will understand, please respond to me in private.

I am deeply troubled tonight and more than a little bit disillusioned.  When
Sandy and I discovered the FML, we thought that it was a wonderful, unique
and special thing.  What we found here was a group of like-minded people who
could share the joys and sorrows of those wonderfull critters who have
brought us together.  The single thing that impressed us the most was the
common thread of love and concern for the well being of our ferret friends.
I was quick to notice the spirit of fun and joy here and, being more than a
little bit crazy myself - and damned proud of it - decided to jump in with
all four feet.

I quickly discovered that this list dealt with all aspects of life with
ferrets.  We deal with our shared joys, commonly felt tragedies and sorrows,
medical questions, unanswered questions, announcements and, yes, just plain
silliness.  In short, anything and everything to do with ferrets.  It never
ocurred to me that this could also be a place where hate might lurk.

I'll have to be the first to admit that, in my early posts here, I tried to
show off my wit and charm - or lack therof.  I would print off each day's
list and quickly scan it to see if anybody had responded to me in a positive
way.  You see, I really had no idea what this list was all about at first.
I missed, even though I read it, Kelleen's first account of Racy's passing,
and the fact that someone had called her a bad Mom becuause of it.  I paid
no attention to the fact that Bob was recieving hate mail because he
dissects animals.  I missed so much that I should not have missed.

Then something wonderful happened.  I discovered that I was not the most
important person on the FML.  I began to read, to listen and to care.  The
Ferret Mail, as Tater likes to call it, took on a whole new meaning for me -
and it was good.  I no longer try to be just clever and cute.  I try to let
me true feelings show, for I feel safe in doing so here.  No, you are not
safe from my own special brand of craziness - it will show up here often,
I'm just that kind of guy.  I think I'm in good company here.

I guess the main reason for this letter is to say that we all have a right
to be here - to celebrate the common experiences that ferrets have given to
us.  Like any family, we will have our differences.  Some of us may not like
each other very much - and we all have a right to our opinions and the right
to express them, it should be no other way.

But, do we have the right to purposely hurt one another, simply because we
do not like the way someone might express themselves?  Do we have the right
to decide that someone needs to be punished with hate mail, simply because
we do not agree with them, or don't think that they have a right to their
feelings and opinions?  I agree completely with what BIG had to say
yesterday.  Everyone here has the right to express their opinions.  I draw
the line, however, at what Kelleen had to put up with today.  This was not
an opinion, nor was it a 'flame'.  This was hate, pure and simple.  I have
no stomach for it.

Kelleen, don't you dare go away from this list.  I'm sorry that you had to
share things about yourself that were nobody's business, in order to defend
yourself.  You belong here as much as any of us.  Speaking strictly for
Sandy, Tater and myself, we love you, Lady.  Hang in there.

Michael

[Moderator's note: The "hate letter" that Michael is talking about was not
sent to the FML, though I was forwarded a copy privately and was asked to
post it.  I don't think it's appropriate to post a private note to the list
so it will not be posted here.  BIG]