From:
"Anna M. Adam" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:24:44 -0500
[Moderator's note: This isn't directly related to ferrets, but this "club"
was mentioned here a couple of times.  Some people liked it, and some didn't,
so here's one more opinion.  (Just in case there's any confusion, please
note this has absolutely nothing to do with the Save Our Shelters grocery
coupon program, also mentioned on the FML at times.  The S.O.S program is
completely different.)  BIG]

I want to relate an experience with all of you so that you don't make the
same mistake I did.  There is a company called Pet Care Savings Club in
Maryland.  Membership is $50 a year.  In return you get a cheezy card that
is supposed to provide you with some discounts at certain hotels.  You also
get to add your pets to some finder list.  They each get a tag with PCSC's
800 number so that they can be returned if lost.  I did not have cause to
use either of these services.  The big thing they push is cash back
certificates.  You get these coupons that you send back to them with various
receipts and they cut you a check.  For example, $5 rebate on any one time
purchase of $55 on pet food.  They don't have *that* many of the good
certificates.  Basically, at the time, Jonathan and I had ten pets, but we
only managed to pull together enough to get $35 in rebates.  This is not the
bad part.  The bad part is we sent in our coupons and our receipts in July
along with a letter updating our pet information and our address.  We called
in October, they said the check wouldn't go out until November.  We called
in November, they said they mailed the check to the wrong address (mind you
the address change *and* the coupons were in the same letter!).  We called
again in November, they said they had to wait two full months before they
could issue a new check.  We called several more times but no check.  Then,
it was either late December or very early January, we called to tell them
*not* to renew our membership.  They said they wouldn't issue the check if
we cancelled.  We explained that we had been five months and it was their
mistake in the first place.  They assured us they would both cancel *and*
issue the check.  In January, no check.  In February, no check.  In early
March, no check but guess what?!  They charged our Exxon card back in
January.  We got a late notice from Exxon b/c we hadn't paid.  We hadn't
gotten a statement because we'd never updated Exxon's account info to our
new address (we don't use the Exxon card).  Called PCSC, they said oops,
we'll cancel you now and assured us they would credit the Exxon card.  We
got another ugly letter from Exxon and FINALLY the $35 check (eight months
later!).  Called PCSC and told them they needed to mail us a letter so we
could have proof that we cancelled.  We get a VERY generic letter, no date,
no Dear Mr. and Mrs., no date of cancellation.  Just, "we cancelled your Pet
Care Saving Club membership." I called today to request a more informative
letter and was told it would have March 9th as the cancellation date instead
of Dec/January when *we* called to cancel because "we can not provide
fraudulant information on the letter." So, my long winded point is, please
stay away from this company.  This may be an isolated incident, but we
called several times a month to these people, mailed certified letters and
EVERYthing.  They had plenty of opportunities to correct their mistakes.  We
had ten pets and *still* couldn't manage to get our money's worth.  Even if
we *had* come out ahead financially, it wouldn't have been worth the
headache trying to get the check.

Let's all keep a look out for each other!

Anna