From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:07:51 -0700
Not sure if this post will make it to the list or not-if it does-Thanks
BIG for allowing 'equal time!'  If it doesn't, well at least I tried!

Having a son at the Pentagon has put me on edge.  Going three days without
hearing from him was pure hell.  Finally being able to hear his voice and
knowing he is okay has helped....but then I do the unusual, I read the
FML.  I usually just skim it because there are too many things allowed
here that I don't approve-but I also feel there are too many important
issues and topics covered here, that I know I can't to without it.  I know
there are others going through things similar to what I have gone through
this last week, so I read it looking for updates or posts from people
caught up in this tragedy.  But what do I get?  I get more political
opinions that have nothing to do with this list...I get the post of
someone who over the last week has thrown several opinions out and I can
no longer remain silent about this.

I am angry!  I am angry that this has been allowed!  I have opinions, too!
But have I come on this list saying that I think we should have sent a
team of highly trained marksmen in to take out Sadam ten years ago?  Do I
come on here and say that I believe a retaliatory bombing strike should
have occurred three days ago?  No!  I don't come on here and say that
because one: these are my opinions and are not open for debate and two:
this list is not the place for it!  I have a son picking up the body parts
of innocent Americans killed in this vicious attack-witnessing things that
are going to change his life forever, and I have to come on this list and
read political views that are so anti-American it makes me ill!  Every
Amercian in this country has the right to be safe and protected whether
it is in Wal-mart, their own home, a theater showing X-rated movies or a
CHURCH!  Every American has that right and that is what the thousands of
people who have lost their lives over the last week died for!  I am mad
that this post was allowed as I feel it is disrespectful to everything
America stands for and it is a slap in the face to us who have loved who
have volunteered to serve and protect-be it in the United States Militar,
thePolice Forces or whatever!  So...I am asking that posts containing
political opinions no longer be allowed on this list.  Posts relaying
information in regards to family and friends should be welcomed....but
hearing how one person is 'horrified' because the President quoted a
scripture from the Bible when there are so many other horrible things
befalling us as a nation right now is not only sickening-it simply should
not be allowed!  If you agree with me, I am asking that you please, send
BIG a short messages stating that you believe political opinions should
not be allowed!  This is NOT the place....and it certainly is NOT the
time!  If I offended anyone...do NOT expect an apology!

Judy

[Moderator's note: Judy, and all FMLers, my opinion about this is already
explained in my post above.  As much as I enjoy hearing from subscribers,
there is no need to send me a note as Judy suggested.

And, specifically to Judy: Thank you for your comments.  I felt many of
the posts of the last few days helped us to bond and to heal in these
difficult times.  You may have missed some of the earlier posts and my
invitation for them (heck, not like you didn't have some things on your
mind -- I glad to know your son is OK now!) or you may just have a
different opinion.  Either is fine.  I'd just like to reinforce that the
FML will remain generally on-topic as I feel is usually the case.  BIG]