From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 06:47:56 -0700
Yes, begin now caging them for short periods, daily.  If possible, place
the shirt or bedding they nap in out of the cage, inside the cage.

And STOP feeling guilty!

We have 21 free roaming ferrets!  We also participate in a national racing
circuit which requires us to be gone for up to 5 days at a time on a very
irregular schedule.

Some of our ferrets are boarded with a local shelter where they are allowed
out once a day for a 4 hour play period... the others go to the track WITH
us where they only get out of their cages for several 30 minute to 2 hour
play periods.

Do they mind?  No.  We began several months in advance re-caging them for
periods of time during the day.  The shelter is the former home of most of
them so the director and the shelter routine is a familiar friend.  The
traveling "crew" condsider the race car trailer lounge and the Peterbuilt's
sleeper to be just two more rooms of the house.  They spent a great deal
of "practice" time in the truck & trailer sitting in the driveway.

The shelter and the truck & trailer are just the "other" routine, the
"other" home territory.

Ferrets are very adaptable.  Make the change slowly, caging them for longer
periods each time... you'll quickly see that they'd just as soon get their
day-time nap out in peace in the cage.

Also, keep as many familiar items from the old home in the new... DON'T
wash their bedding the week of the move.  Don't put fresh litter in their
box in the new home for a day or two, just scoop out the wet, & add a
SMALL amount of fresh litter if necessary.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home