Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 09:49:51 -0600
Last night I get a call from the woman who I am babysitting the ferrets
for.  She wants to know if it is okay if she brings over the newest
acquisition to her ferret family.  I am absolutely flabbergasted.  She
continues to explain that since she has just surrendered one of her ferrets
that she needed to have this one to make up for the one she lost.  She goes
on to explain that the people that she is living with, while she finds new
living quarters, have to move as well, but can't take the ferret they own
with them.  So, thinking that since she is short one now, offers $50 to the
couple so that she can take their ferret off their hands.  They accept.

This "new" ferret is an 8 year old FSD albino, but will come with a cage.

I am wondering where her head is at, for the money she forked over for
this new ferret would have paid for half of the blood work for the one she
surrendered.  In my mind I am thinking that she can't afford medical costs
for one ferret, let alone three, but decides that having another one is
just what the doctored ordered.  I feel I am between a rock and a hard
place... If I refuse looking after this ferret, what will become of it?
If I look after it here, what will become of her once she leaves?

This woman got another ferret even though she has no place of her own yet
to put it, or her other three.

This woman is having problems paying for the food I requested she buy, but
she could afford buying another ferret.

This woman does not seem to understand that her newest acquisition may need
special geriatric care, due to the fact that the ferret is 8 years old.  I
have no idea what condition this ferret is in, even though she tells me it
is very healthy (which may be true) and has only had one bout of ear mites.

I have until Saturday to prepare for all the things I need to talk to her
about.  Let's hope I can say and do the right thing.

The saga continues....

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur