From:
Ariel White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:53:08 -0700
Greetings all beloved in Ferretland-

Okay, here's my two cents worth.  I never even considered *not* vaccinating
my fuzzies.  We give immunization shots for polio, etc to small children-
should we just stop doing it because there isn't an outbreak?  The reason
such diseases aren't prevelant are because we vaccinate, and the countries
(or cities) where parents have stopped vaccinating their children the
disease has started popping up again.  Even civilized U.S. of A.  What's
the difference with ferrets?

Granted, the ferret vaccinations aren't as developed to the advanced level
of safety that human vaccines are, but I would agree with most ferret
vaccine supporters that canine distemper is worse.  And, I bet if we did a
survey on whose ferrets had problems with vaccines and whose didn't, we
would find a vast majority of ferrets who have never had a problem.  Mine
haven't.

Now, here's my question.  I haven't read of anyone who is getting the same
vaccination that my vet is giving my fuzzies; this worries me.  I get a
3-year vaccination, not a 1-year.  It's Fervac-D.  Is that bad? :-(  The
vet also mentioned that it was a modified live virus vaccine- don't I
remember reading somewhere that it should be a killed virus vaccine?  Or is
that rabies?  Someone help me!

Thanks for the civilized discussion. :-)

Ariel and her duo
Jasper- "I'll just follow you around and lay at your feet, mommy. Treats?"
Baxter- "What's this? Let's play! I'm gonna jump on you, Jasper!"