From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:18:02 -0400
I must admit I've been skimming lately so I didn't see the original posts
on the vaccination thread.  However its a bit timely because I'm becoming
more convinced that I wont do rabies next year.  I know I know, I agree
with all the arguments.  Its not the money either.  (My ferrets get
hearworm meds, Program, and Giesela has been x-rayed just about every time
she coughs and I don't have a problem with that at all - and my vets very
reasonable).

I just hate the HUGE amount given and EVERY YEAR for a disease that
(1) the likelihood of them getting is extremely remote
(2) if they bit someone I know I would'nt be doing the ferret community any
good but in my state they'd probably insist on death regardless of timely
vaccinations
(3) Giesela got her's last month and still has a huge lump at the
vaccination spot.
(4) there is a counter series of shots so its not like a bite is terminal
to the human.
(5) Not to mention the controversy about the inert ingrediants that may be
causing cancer in cats.

Screw it.  The every year requirement is stupid.  I haven't made up my mind
for sure and will reevaluate next year.  However as they get older I get
less comfortable with it.  Distemper yes.  If there was a Parvo shot, yes -
these are highly communicable.

Any ideas on this lump she's got?  Its twice as big as the one's she's had
from the rabies vac before and is lasting longer.  (BTW I seperate her
distemper and rabies by 2-3 weeks).

Mary, Booker the rescue dog and Boris and Giesela