From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:55:16 -0400
>From:    Lisa M Tieber <[log in to unmask]>
>I have been toying with the idea of adding a reptile to my family; however,
>I am unsure how that would go over with my two ferrets.  Does anyone have
>any experience with reptiles and ferrets?  Are there any particular
>reptiles more combatible with ferrets(Iguana, turtle, snake?).

I have ferrets, 3 snakes, a skink, and 11 birds.  They all get along
famously, because:

THEY NEVER INTERACT.

I don't even think the ferrets know the reptiles exist.  If they do, they
apparently don't care.  The reptile cages are on tables that that the
ferrets can't get up on.  Most of the birds are in a separate room, and the
two birds that aren't are in inaccessable (to the ferrets) cages.

Yes, if the ferrets were to come in contact with any of my reptiles, the
reptiles would no doubt come out on the losing end.  They are all small
in size.  I have heard first hand one story of a boa that ate someone's
ferret, because they didn't realize the ferret was out and they were
cleaning the boa's cage and the ferret went to investigate when they
weren't looking.  The boa was big enough and was hungry - end of story.

Iguanas are vegetarians and wouldn't want to eat a ferret, but if they are
annoyed, they can whip their tails pretty hard and they can bite.  A large
iguana could possibly do some damage.  However, I've heard more stories of
iguanas ending up dead or at least mutilated when found by ferrets or other
furry pets.

I suppose turtles (especially box turtles) would be the least likely to
come to harm from ferrets, because they can withdraw into their shells.
But I still wouldn't allow the two to interact.  There's really no reason
that ferrets need to interact with anything they could possibly kill or
injure or that could injure them.  It means you have to have separate out
times, or separate rooms for them to play in, but it can be done.

I'm a reptile enthusiast and I think they are often misunderstood, just
like people misunderstand ferrets.  They can make good pets, just like
ferrets, but your ferrets don't really have to know they are there, or at
least they shouldn't be able to get to them if they do.

Karen
Do what you want, do what you wish.  It's your life but remember this.
There's bound to be some consequences, sneaking under other fences.
Then what?  Whatcha gonna do when the new wears off and the old shines
through, and it ain't really love and it ain't really lust, you ain't
anybody anybody's gonna trust.  Then what?  Where you gonna turn when
you can't turn back for the bridges you've burned, and fate can't wait
to kick you in the butt. Then what?
                                                -- Clay Walker
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html