From:
Terri Beier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:00:51 -0600
Hi everyone.  I posted a few weeks ago about Fester, my 8 month old male who
is very sick.  Thanks to everyone who sent me information:-)

After a week of hospitalization his vet let him come home with me.  He has
been home for a week and half.  We think that he has a Campylobacter
infection.  Some days are better than others.  His fever fluctuates, usually
higher in the morning.  He was on Chloramphenicol for 10 days, which brought
his fever down from the 105-107 range to his current 101-105 range (imagine
my joy when he had his first normal temperature reading:-) On Saturday he
was switched to Metranidazole (thought about Gentamicin, but we were worried
about his kidneys--he's not drinking at all on his own and my Med school
schedule is so varied that we didn't want to take any chances).  He is being
force fed Duck soup and lots of Pedialyte.  Starting last Tuesday he began
eating a little bit of Totally Ferret mixed with warm water, approx.  1/4
teaspoon per meal.  He will lick a little Ferretvite, but he won't take any
Nutri-cal.  He has lost a lot of weight.  He was over 3.5 lbs and is now
only 2.2 lbs.  Which reminds me--he has a great clinic that he goes to.
Both of the vets and all of the staff are so worried about him.  The lady
who weighed him on Saturday was so happy that he was able to lift his head
up while he was on the scale.  She said that he barely moved at all during
the week that he was hospitalized.

Things are very busy here right now, as all of you who have had sick ferrets
know.  Fester has learned how to use the toilet!!  This has made it a lot
easier!!  I simply hold him over it and he goes.  My parents wonder how he
figured that out!

The other five ferrets are still fine.  Fester was separated from them for
the first week when he got back from the hospital.  They now have visiting
time, but the others can only look because Fester will hiss and bite if they
get too close to him.  This really upsets Rippey (Fester and Rippey are best
friends).  Rippey runs in circles and clucks like mad whenever he sees
Fester.  Fester does enjoy watching them play, as long as they don't come
too close.

Thanks again to everyone who gave us advice!  I'll keep you updated!

Terri
Fester, Gus, Rippey, Kirby, Oliver, and Maggie