From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 04:02:57 -0400
To the anonymous poster who wrote about the bulletin posted in CA where
someone wrote "ferrets kill cats and birds--don't do it!":

I live in State College, PA, where in my opinion people are pretty educated
and pretty easy going (Mary M., do you agree???) Anyway, recently someone
put in our local supermarket a card, you know, one of those wanted/for sale
cards on a bulletin board in stores?  It was advertising ferrets for sale.
A few days later, someone had written on it BABY KILLERS over the card.

God, where do these people come from??? I don't particularly like poodles,
(no offense to poodle owners), but I don't go around writing
"snot-nosed-stuck-up curly haired ugly dog" on ads for them!! What's wrong
with people? If you don't know about an animal, or don't like an animal,
why slander them? It was really disheartening to me to see those words,
considering the largest part of my Rescue is devoted to education about
these critters.

Just had to throw my 2 cents in there.

Next, and hopefully among the last words about tear-jerker stories:

This one's in response to Heather Moore's message.  It was very well written
and she brings up good points.  I still completely understand that some
people don't want to hear about depression, we get enough of it on the news,
etc.

However, one more time: Heather, you are very fortunate to have friends and
family that will support/console you when you need it.  I have a very loving
family, and some good friends, and they would be the first to be there if a
human died close to me.  However, many non-ferret owners just don't get what
it is that makes ferret owners get so attached to / addicted to :) ferrets.
And when one of them passes away, it can be tough to have the support you
need from non-ferret owning friends.

As far as the FML being a group of 2300 strangers, I just don't see it that
way.  And I definately don't think that Sukie and Steve would think that all
of the cards and letters, etc. that were sent came from strangers.  We may
not be a "real" family, but we all share such a strong bond due to the fact
that we share a precious "secret"...that is, the secret of ferret love.  If
anyone wants to keep my e-mail address to correspond with someone who's
willing to share in good times *and* bad, I'd love to offer an ear to listen
and a virtual shoulder to cry on.

So, my last words on the subject are: if you've lost/are losing a fuzzy, and
you are hurting and need kind words and understanding, post about it.  Most
people reply in private, anyway.  In the case of Meltdown, I think that most
of us were following the daily updates, and we wanted to know what was
happening (I did, anyway).  BUT, if you don't need to be reminded that your
precious fuzzies are someday going to break your heart, simply skim.  Nobody
will take offense.  There's a message here, though.  If you are writing a
sad subject, it would be polite for some folks if you wrote in your subject
header "sad"--e.g., About Ferret Name (sad).  What'dya think, BIG?  Maybe
add this request to the Ferret Mailing List FAQ?

George Carlin: Remember that every pet you purchase is a small tragedy.
(True, but horribly depressing thought!!!)

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM

[Moderator's note: I think I will suggest people give accurate subjects, tho
not sure how crazy I'll go trying to enforce it.  But do keep in mind that
related posts are usually grouped together, so that helps to sort things
out a bit when deciding what to read.  Though with an FML as large and
varied as today, it's still confusing, I admit!  BIG]