From:
Vicki Menolly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 20:52:28 -0400
Upon Felicia's passing a month ago, Rex took to moping around the house.  I
decided that Rex and I missed her too much.  I found a 5 week old ferret at
the local pet store.  It was love at first sight, for me anyway!!  Rex, on
the other hand, is less than enthusiastic about Keesha.

After a careful introduction, and being caged separately, I let them loose
together.  Rex sniffed, sniffed some more, than lay his large, heavy body on
top of tiny Keesha and bit her right at the back of the throat.  Did she
scream!!!  It was all I could do to get him to release the _death_ grip he
had on her!!  It was days later that I tried again, with the same result.
 Keesha's heart was beating so fast I thought it would come out of her
chest!!  She cries every time she is in Rex's proximaty.

I keep them separated, staggering their _free_ roaming time.  I keep one or
the other in my bedroom, then switch play areas.  A few days ago, Keesha got
out while I was transfering laundry.  A few moments later, I heard her
screaming and wailing.  I ran into the living room and saw her tiny body
flailing under the couch.  I reached in and had to insert my fingers in Rex's
mouth to loosen his grip.  He ALWAYS goes for her throat.

My concern, obviously, is that Rex is trying to Kill her and will succeed one
day.  I had adopted Felicia when she was around 1.5 yrs old.  Rex was a
little bit younger than that at the time.  They locked jaws together and spun
around, rolling over and over again.  In a few short days, they were the best
of friends.  Not so with Keesha.  My question, will Rex ever accept Keesha?
Will he ever stop the "lunge and kill" behavior?  Is that what it is,
anyway???

Also, my condolensces to the people who lost their 'children' in the last two
weeks.  I still miss Felicia terribly.  My heart goes out to all of you.

Vicki, the frantic keeper of the peace?
Rex, "That's NOT Felicia and by the way, where's my raisin?"
Keesha, "MOM!!!!!! He's after me again!!!!!"