From:
Lori Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:58:33 +0900
I've been lurking for almost a year, but haven't posted until now.  I'm
living in Japan as an English teacher.  During my first year here I got
engaged to a Japanese man, and then in my second year my fiance and I had
an unplanned ferret.  We had gone to a pet store to buy a pet mouse.  They
didn't have any mice, but there was an awfully cute baby ferret, and we got
sucked in by its gravitational pull.  There was no escape.  (You know how
it is.)  We went home to think about it, and ended up buying him the next
day.

The ferret's name is Unagi Inu, which translates as "Eel Dog," but we
usually call him Unagi ("Eel") for short.  It's pronounced oo-nah-gi.
Anyway, reading the limericks of the past few days inspired me to compose
this one:

Our Japanese ferret Unagi
Is sometimes a little bit hoggy
He laps up soy milk
(though not good for his ilk)
And later, his poop comes out soggy.

Unagi also really, really likes green tea.  He won't touch it if it's hot,
but if he finds a cup with some tepid tea still in it, he's in heaven.
Once I caught him actually eating the used wet tea leaves.  And last week
he absconded with a whole package of teabags, which he bit about a million
holes in before I discovered it.  Now I can't make a cup of tea without
little leafy bits floating around in it.

-Lori (with green tea leaves stuck to her teeth)
-Akio (human fiance, who thinks I'm weird for making him feel the ferret's
penis bone last week)
-and Unagi (king of Japanese beverages)