From:
Brad Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:45:11 -0400
Ferrets never cease to surprise you.  Benito, the Pickiest Eater of Them
All, not interested in much besides Totally Ferret & raisins, definitely has
a taste for Fat Weasel Ale.  Our other ferret is repulsed by it.  Benito, on
the other hand, will fight us for it.  There's nothing like watching his
frustration, when he vainly tries to ooze down the narrow neck of the beer
bottle to get to the tasty ale he *knows* is in there.

Ok, so realizing he wanted to climb down the neck of the bottle to get at
the ale was our first hint that he wanted a taste - or did he?  No, he
couldn't possibly... not *beer*, of all things... On to the taste test: will
he or won't he lick a few drops off the saucer?  After much smelling and
backing around the saucer, he began to lap it up, tentatively at first, then
faster and faster until he had the saucer cleared before we could believe
our eyes.  Licking his lips for a full 15 seconds, he promptly demanded a
refill.  Which of course, he didn't get, even though he will get a lick or
two every once in a while.

Benito, who in his 9 months of life has turned down just about every human
food or drink he has ever smelled, has taken a shine to a brand of beer
named Fat Weasel Ale.  I've heard of ferrets liking rum & coke, but I
thought that's just the sugar.  This ale, on this other hand, is *strong*,
in the tradition of stout German or British ales.  And pretty bitter.  Not
what I'd think a ferret would like, much less this particular ferret.

Does anyone else have a ferret who is a secret, or not so secret, lush for
strong beer, with a distinct brand preference, or is Benito just trying to
mess with our heads?

Fat Weasel Ale, by the way, is a mircro brew from New Ulm, New Mexico.  It
is distributed in CA, AZ and NM thru Trader Joe's outlets.  I don't know if
it's a nationally distributed brand, but that wouldn't surprise me.  It's
exceptionally good, if you like ales.  Take Benito's word for it.

Claudia
Los Angeles