From:
Brad Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:37:29 -0400
I'm a work-at-home writer and translator in Los Angeles.  This morning,
around 10 am, I got a visit from two cops.  They knocked on my door and I
opened it without looking, thinking it was the mail (I'm expecting a
package).

To my surprise I found myself staring at two LAPD officers.  One of them
told me they were called on a noise complaint, somebody yelling obscenities.
I told them I hadn't heard anything, since I had been playing music pretty
loud to cover up some construction noise that was going on a half block
away.  It was obvious they were just trolling around, and not specifically
looking for me or my address.  At the time they showed up, the construction
noise was over, my stereo was off and I just told them I hadn't heard
anybody yelling any obscenities.

Since I had expected to find the mailwoman outside, who loves our ferrets,
I hadn't bothered to lock up the ferrets before opening the door. So, just
as the cops were about to leave, Benito came padding to the door, wanting
to check out what was going on.

My heart sank at first. I thought, oh s**t, you idiot, how often have you
told yourself "never ever answer the door without locking up the ferrets
first"....!!!

I picked up Benito, since he was about to crawl up the cop's pant leg and
resigned myself to the possible consequences, going over my emergency
contingency plans in my head.

The cop said "Hey, isn't that a ferret?" I said "yeah, it is" (no point in
lying anymore).  "They are still illegal, aren't they?" "Yeah,
unfortunately, they still are", I replied, once again seeing no advantage in
lying at this point.  I simply resigned myself to not volunteering any
information, nor making up some story (Oh, he's just visiting from Arizona
or something), until I had some idea what would happen next.

Imagine my relief when the cop said "Yes, my wife had one as a pet once,
they are really funny and entertaining." Taking this as cue that he wasn't
going to do anything that would result in having to rescue Benito from the
Fish & Game Nazis, I became more talkative, telling the cop how with any
luck at all, all ferrets in the state will become legal by 1/1/98, as long
as the bill passes the Senate and Wilson signs the bills.

It turned out the cop knew CA was the only mainland state where ferrets are
still illegal and asked me about the bill, the number and the status.  I
gave him one of Jeanne Carley's flyers, and told him the best bet at this
point is to contact his state senator,but most important, Gov.  Wilson.  He
held and petted Benito while I went to get the flyer.  He left with ferret
hair all over his uniform (Benito is shedding :), the flyer, a promise to
help support the bill and another promise that I wouldn't have to worry
about a visit from Fish & Game ("Don't worry, we won't say anything", with a
big smile, completey ferret-charmed.  Benito really came through!)

I was so relieved at the outcome of this potential disaster, I almost cried
after they left.  In fact, the only way I can get this event out of my
system and get on with my work, is to write up this post.

I learned a few lessons here:

1) A refresher "Never ever open the door without locking up the ferrets
first !!!"

2) This encounter has changed my perception of the LAPD. I've seen a lot
of s**t going down in my 10 years in Los Angeles, and had cultivated the
opinion that the LAPD as a whole was useless in improving the quality of
life in Los Angeles.

I know I dealt with only 2 cops, which is hardly representative, but they
were your typical white male, crew-cut beefy looking toughs, the same type
that you've seen involved with the Rodney King beating.

I didn't even give them the benefit of the doubt.  I thought our ferrets
were history (or at least in BIG TROUBLE), as soon as the cop got a glimpse
of Benito.  I didn't expect to get a break from the LAPD, in fact, I
expected them to take steps to get our ferrest confiscated simply because
they were LAPD.

3) Being too paranoid serves no purpose.  Of course ferrets are still
illegal in CA and therefore still in danger, but not from regular law
enforcement.  We live in fear in CA because of a handful of Fish & Game
Nazis who hang on to an antiquated law that even the cops think is silly.
And I've even gotten one cop to promise he would help change the law.

4) Today is one of those rare days when I actually *feel good* about living
in Los Angeles.  I know this glow will fade soon enough, but Im going to
enjoy it while it lasts.

5) I have to think this over for a while, but I'm considering taking some of
Jeanne Carley's flyers to local police stations for distribution.  It's
always said that lots of cops have ferrets.  Maybe I can get more than one
of them to help change the law.

Claudia (with much relief)
and Pixel & Benito
in Los Angeles