From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:46:13 EDT
>Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hair Loss
>I'm posting for a coworker who admits she doesn't know a lot about ferrets,
>but somehow came to own one sometime within the last year.  She thinks
>her ferret is about three years old, and he has lost his hair.  It was a
>gradual loss, starting at his shoulders.  Some hair is growing back on
>his legs.  The vet, who admits to not seeing many ferrets, says it's an
>endocrine gland, says it's common in ferrets, and that you have to leave
>one.  Does this make sense?

Debbie

The vet is referring to hyperadrenocorticism, or Adrenal disease.  The
symmetrical, bilateral hairloss (even though it has started to reqrow) is
a classic symptom of adrenals, and for a vet who admits to not seeing many
ferrets to catch it, is GREAT!  The vet is referring to the removal of
the adrenal gland (when s/he says you have to leave one) and that isn't
entirely correct - bilateral removal of adrenals while uncommon, does
happen successfully.

I would print out the adrenal FAQ from ferret central and some of these
other links and provide it for her to give to her vet.

<A HREF="http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/med/adrenal.html">
 Ferret Adrenal Disease FAQ  </A>

<A HREF="http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC/">
 Adrenal disease and Insulinoma in the domestic ferret </A>

Best of luck to her and her ferret!

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854