Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:34:17 EDT
Hi everyone!

Its been very hectic and I meant to post this earlier.....both as a
reminder and warning about male ferrets and adrenals...

Ben and Phoebe were turned into the local SPCA and I went and picked them
up.  Ben was a 6 year old, adrenal male - Phoebe a normal 2 year old.  He
had the classic alopecia - his head, his feet and thinning along his back.
Very dandruffy fur.  We noticed almost right away that he was having
trouble urinating.  I went to more thoroughly examine him, and found that
his bladder was very full.  He was straining, and nothing was coming out.
I ran very warm water in the sink, up to his ribcage and immersed him,
then very carefully began expressing his bladder.  (If you are not familiar
with how to do this - please be very careful.  Its possible to rupture the
bladder if done improperly).

Greenish-yellow pus, about the consistency of a milkshake, seeped out
slowly.  I continued to express him until I had gotten out about 5cc -
called the vet and brought him in.  His prostate was so swollen and
enlarged, it completely blocked his urethra.  He literally could not pee
without assistance.

Surgery was scheduled for the next day.  The docs removed his left adrenal,
a suspicious node on his pancreas, and rerouted his urethra.  Poor Ben has
two incisions - but happily, came through the surgery like a trooper.  Its
amazing to see how quickly he bounced back from such a difficult and
involved surgery.We are hoping for a full recovery.  One week post-op, hes
doing even better than the vets hoped.  All of his stitches were removed,
and he will continue for another week on clavamox.

He has had no problems peeing from his new area, and has a hit rate out of
the cage better than a good 70% of the other shelter kids.  We even got a
special treat - we let him out to play for the first time since his surgery
- and he played!  Rolling a jingle ball around on his belly, dooking and
dancing.  That made it all worth while.  He is still not out of the woods
yet, though.  Although his prostate has shrunk a little, its not nearly
enough, and if it doesn't continue to respond and shrink, it means a second
surgery for Ben.  Currently he is on a daily regimen of hot compresses and
expressing his prostate to remove the cystic fluids.

So, please - if you have a male ferret that has adrenals, or is suspected
of having adrenals - please monitor him carefully.  If you see him begin
to strain, get him examined by a vet.  My vets suspect that he was having
difficulty in urinating for at least 3 months, and most likely the reason
he was turned into the SPCA.  Such a shame - he is a good ferret - gentle
and well mannered - but I guess sometimes money gets in the way of loyalty
and responsibility.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID1236&MID854