From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:41:29 -0500
Question: I was at the store looking at oils to replace Ferretcoat as a
treat or mix with it since mine aren't fond of olive oil.  I saw safflower,
walnut, peanut, canola, rice and bran.  The bottle lists soy, cod liver and
wheat germ oils.  I've heard people here talk about flax seed oil.  Is it a
matter of taste?  Protein content, saturated vs.  unsaturated fats?  Anybody
with knowledeable breakdowns out there?

Melissa - dont know about your ferrets noise but Giesela goes through short
periods where she makes this "gulpy gulpy" noise.  I haven't figured it out
either.  Another note on Giesela - she's almost 2 and I thought she'd quit
material eating <sigh> saw something in her poop - upon investigation I
recognized immediately a favorite silk scarf pattern.  She's eaten about a
3-4 x 3-4" size hole at least!  Lots of cat lax in her immediate future.

I can't remember who it was who said they don't see why on distemper or
rabies shots.  You mention your pet not being exposed to canine distemper -
but you have a dog, whos yes probably been vaccinated.  However distemper is
airborne and can be carried in on your dog, your clothes etc.  As far as
rabies, yes many states are bite and kill irregardless of vaccinations -
however having a current rabies vaccination MAY calm down a bitten person
enough to not report it.  Also you could try to fight euthanization but only
if you have a current shot.  VACCINATE!

Sleeping ferrets: My two are so different in this regard.  Giesela hears the
garage door and is waiting by the door when I come in, all shivery.  Any
noise and she is UP and OUT!  Boris doesn't sleep hard either, but he takes
a long time to get out of his drawer.  He pokes his head out, looks around,
lays back down, gets up and comes down to the bottom drawer.  Looks around,
hangs his front legs over the side and just..hangs there.  Likes me to
massage him while in the drawer.  Lays around some more.  I swear if he had
a snooze alarm he be one to hit it about 9 times before he got up.

Vet costs: Many vets end up with unpaid bills by irresponsible owners and
donate time to low-cost spay neuter programs, performing surgery on unwanted
dropped off animals that they end up placing for free, etc.  etc.  We
responsible owners end up defraying part of that cost.  If you want to help
lower costs - I would suggest you volunteer with your local rescue,
shelters, groups and clubs to get out there and increase pet responsibility
and spay/neuter programs.  Hope that didn't sound too much like a soap box:)
But really compared to human doctor bills I think their pretty reasonable.

Best wishes for Gabriel and all the other ferrets not feeling well tonight,
Mary, Boris and Giesela