From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:22:32 -0400
No. 421 and Oliver were taking a much-needed rest. The two had been
working hard getting their cabin ready for summer. The garden was in,
the farm stand was ready; they decided to go fishing.

Oliver was in the shed picking up the poles when Bluebird fluttered
up to the door.

"Hey Oliver," she chirped. "I has a greeting for you to do. We has
a ferret named Boggie who was very sick. He crossed and his Mom Sue
wants to make sure he finds his family."

Oliver put the poles down and took the ticket. "No 421 is in the
shower, I'll tell him as soon as he is out."

Oliver put the ticket on the table, and knocked on the shower door.

"We has a ticket on the table," he said. "Bluebird just delivered it,
so I will go find Bandit and Smokey. Meet you at the Bridge."

Smokey and Bandit were in a complex down by the Silver Stream where the
biggest trout hid. Should he take his pole??? If he did, he could catch
a fish of two, and no one would know.

Oliver decided against that idea. With his luck, the Boss would be out
taking inventory and he would get caught. That would upset No. 421 very
much.

He hung the poles up and went off down the meadow. He could hear the
stream bubbling and almost smell the trout cooking. As he neared the
stream, he could hear some ferret's dooking and laughing. Someone was
having a GREAT time.

"Hello," Oliver called. "Who goes there?"

"Hi Oliver," Smokey called. "Come over here and see the big trout I
caught. Bandit and I will dine royally today."

"Yea yea, well, could you take a few minutes off to greet your brother
Boggie? He is arriving at the Bridge and No. 421 sent me to bring you
up."

Smokey and Bandit had a whispered conversation and Smokey decided he
would go and Bandit would clean and cook the morning catch. They had
several big fish, and with Boggie here, they would need them.

"I'll go with you," Smokey said. "Here, just let me wash my paws."

Oliver was looking at several big fish and he could almost taste them.
If it weren't too late, he would come back after and try his luck.

Oliver and Smokey ran up the path to the Bridge. No.421 was talking to
a ferret toting a blanket and some Friskies in a bowl. He was gulping
in deep breaths of cool, fresh air.

"Here is Oliver now," No.421 said. "Hey Oliver, Boggie arrived and he
is looking for his family. He brought some Friskies and boy are they
ever good."

When Boggie saw Smokey he put his blanket and bowl down and let out a
loud DOOK.

"Hi Smokey," Boggie said. "What a surprise meeting you here. Is Bandit
here too?"

"Hi Boggie," Smokey said. "Bandit is cooking a big breakfast for us.
Boy you are looking good. How's everything back at the house? Come on
fella, we have a lot to catch up on."

Boggie turned to No. 421 and said he would like to get a message back
to his Mom Sue.

No. 421 called Shooting Star and she swooped down to take the message.

"Tell my Mom I thank her for taking care of me," Boggie said. "She got
up at night with me, and she was just the best Mom a ferret kid could
ask for. Tell her I am fine now, breathing real good, and will wait
with Bandit and Smokey for her to come and collect us."

Shooting star, read the message back to be sure she had it right and
flew away to deliver it after dark.

Smokey and Boggie thanked No. 421 for his help and the two went back
down the path.

"Hey Oliver," Smokey said. "Come on down with us and we'll tell you
the secret to catching those big fish."

Oliver ran and caught up with the ferrets and No. 421 told him to come
right back as he would put the oatmeal on as soon as he got home.

The three ferrets skipped down the path and Boggie gave Oliver a
Friskie. As they neared the stream the smell of fish frying was
floating in the air. Oliver's mouth began to water, he just had to
catch at least one fish.

Bandit came out of the mound and gave Boggie a big ferret hug. "Come
on in and make yourself at home," he said. "I fixed a room up for you,
and set a place at our table."

Oliver gave Boggie a paw shake and told him he would see him around.
"Maybe the two of us can go fishing when you get settled in," he said.

Just then, Smokey came running out with a platter with three big trout,
cooked to perfection and steaming hot on it.

"Hey Oliver," he said. "Take these to No. 421. Both of you can enjoy
some of our catch; we have way to many for just the three of us. Hurry
home, and they will still be hot. I tipped No. 421 off before we left
the Bridge, so he won't put the oatmeal on this morning."

Oliver's face lit up as he took the fish. He hurried back to the cabin
and No. 421 was just closing his logbook. He wrote that the mission was
accomplished, Boggie was here and feeling better now that he was under
the Boss's care, and Oliver's wish for some fish came true. No.421
poured the ferretone tea and Oliver put the fish on the table. They
were everything he wished for. He made a mental note to ask the Boss,
next time he saw Him, how He knew his secret wish.