From:
mike and karyl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:16:18 -0700
This post is a little long, but I have so many questions.  I have really
appreciated the good advice that you have given me in the past.  I have
only ONE ferret and I know that is strange for this group.  She is close
to 9 years old now and completely blind.

I took her to the doctor the other day.  He noticed that she has swollen
lymph glands.  I thought it was just a little bit of fat under her arms
and on her neck, but now that I think about it, I realize that she is
very slim, you can't pinch an inch on her anywhere but she has these
really flabby pouchy pockets especially in her armpits.  He said that
it doesn't seem malignant, because it is soft and mushy, but may be a
precursor to lymphoma.  Has anyone else seen this kind of swelling?

Also, she was prescribed an antibiotic (CLAVAMOX .25cc twice daily)
because he thinks she may have a kidney infection, peeing a lot, and
making little grunting noises when she is trying to go.  The medicine
says to refrigerate, but it was left out last night and then I gave it
to her this morning, now, late tonight, she has some diarrhea and no
control.  She pooped on me, but I know she didn't mean to, I didn't
understand why she woke up and was so wiggly.  Now I know, poor thing.
Is this because the medicine is spoiled?  Should I go and get another
prescription?  Other things that may have caused her diarrhea .  the
doc gave me some canned Hill's canine/feline a/d prescription dietary
supplement food, for days when she doesn't eat so well.  I gave her 10cc
(2tsp) last night for the first time.  Could this change in the diet
just be too much?  She has been eating pretty well since being on the
antibiotic, so I probably shouldn't have given it to her anyway.  He also
told me to give her .50cc LAX 'AIRE daily, this has definitely caused
loose stools, but not runny like tonight, but I'm not sure that she needs
this daily.

Also, she is grinding her teeth, coughing and gagging, mostly just when
she is drinking water.  I asked the vet about it and he said it is just
old age senility.  I asked him about prescribing Carafate, but he said
that is only necessary if there is vomiting.  I don't know what is
causing this, but I think she must really be hurting, or nauseous to do
this so much.  It hurts me to watch it and she never drinks unless I help
her, by hand.  I do the finger under the water thing.  Should I call him
back and insist that I want to try something?

Also, I think it is time to do some cage alterations.  She has a 2 level
and she is only in it at night.  I hardly ever see her in the cage,
because she is only there when I am sleeping, but I came in today and
saw her roll down the ramp and land in a pile at the bottom.  I realize
now that she probably does this every night when she has to go to the
bathroom.  I felt so bad.  She looked miserable.  No wonder she sometimes
goes to the bathroom upstairs these days.  Does anyone have ideas of
moderations that I can make so that the ramp is much more level, soft,
padded or something, or is it time to block off and just use one level.

She has no hind end strength at all.  On a hard floor or newspaper in the
bottom of her cage, her back legs will go straight out from under her.
When she goes to the bathroom, it looks like she is doing the splits.  (I
am really not trying to be funny, just trying to describe what I am
seeing.)  I wonder if anyone can tell me what I can do to help make
things a little easier for her.

Also, she is completely blind and doesn't seem to be interested in any
games anymore.  Do you have ideas for any fun games that I can play with
her?  We used to play chase, I would squeak her toy and she would chase,
but she isn't into it anymore.

My husband says that it is time to let her go.  I don't know what to do.
I am not as experienced as so many of you and I haven't had to put anyone
to sleep since the dog we had when I was just a kid.  I really don't know
how to tell when it is time.  I know she doesn't play games or run around
much anymore, but I love her.  She likes to cuddle now days and she
spends a lot of time with me, sitting on my lap while I am working,
sometimes probably 4-6 hours per day.  I have heard that as long as an
animal is eating, then they are happy with their life.  Does anyone have
any advice for me?

I feel very lucky that she has been with me this long and has been fairly
healthy, but I just want to take really good care of her.

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts to help me stay educated.  I am still
really searching for a good vet in Utah.  This guy treats 'exotics,' but
really doesn't seem to know much about ferrets.  I keep taking her to
different places, but it gets a little expensive to keep trying this vet
and that vet and then another, and I just want to go to someone that I
can really trust.

*~** karyl**~*