From:
alicia ferretlady drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:29:11 -0700
>From:    SQUEEKS <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Tonite I stopped in my local Pet Supermarket .  This is what I found...
>
>15 ferrets in a 4 X 4 enclosure.  Two small water bottles - one of
>which was empty.  Food dish - empty.  One corner litter box with poop
>piled 6+ inches high....
>
>What can I do?  I have been in this store only three times and have
>found similar situations EVERY TIME.... There was a blaze ferret who
>seemed to have a problem with its left front leg.  I had to leave --
>cause I wanted to take them all home.
>
>Linda Z.

Dear Linda,

I know In the past I have posted on the "WHAT TO DO" in a pet retail
case similar to yous.  WHile I admit this is outrageous fto us ferret
friends -- the ONLY WAY you will get any where in a pet retail situation
similar to this is to go OUTSIDE the retail chain., Therefore here are a
few steps to follow through on to Help Make A DIFFERENCE for many
ferrets.  (List readers should keep these steps close at hand!)

1. Document everything you saw in detail - the location ( name of store,
street address, time of day, account of the problem in detail and account
for any employees you contacted ( note whether there was a name badge
etc).  PUT THIS DOWN IN WRITING SO YOU DO NOT lose the information!!!
Details tend to get lost in the shuffle-- you might want to keep a
notebook with you for jotting down things on another visit!

2. Call your state capital and inquire which state department oversees
Pet retail sales.  then WRITE IT DOWN.  also take the name of the
DIRECTOR of that department and contact information via phone and for
mail!

3. Phone the office and ask for the director and apprise him of the
circumstances.  ASK HIM WHAT CAN BE DONE!  (Usually complaints will
prompt a in store inspection- they may get a warning the first time of
any infractions-- later they can loose their permit to sell the animals--
so repeating this process may be necessary!)

Then put your report in writing and mail it to him.  This is so he will
have a fresh reminder of your call - in case he did not jot things down!
Call back in a few weeks to inquire WHAT ACTIONS were taken.  Meanwhile
you can quietly monitor the store for any changes in condition-
documenting as you go!

If more clubs and ferret friends did follow this procedure alerting the
officials which oversee the petshops about these cases there would be
more enforcement.  Many times the directors are appointed by the
governors office-- so repeat - uncorrected situations can then be
dcumented and brought to the attention of the media and the governors
office.

Over the years I have learned that well wishing does not accomplish as
much as bringing the attention to those who have the most power.  Letters
to the editor when enforcement has been ignored will get a response--
BUT you need to follow the estableished route of protocal first!

Best wishes and THANK YOU for taking a stand for the little ones who
have no voice!  Please let us know how you make out!

Alicia Drakiotes, President Ferret Wise www.ferretwise.org
IFC Edcuation coordinator www.ferretcongress.org