Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:45:33 -0600
Hey all.  Thought I'd mention something that came to mind when I read the
post from Fianna about the new ferret that has some pretty specific behavior
problems and doesn't seem to get along with others...

>From:    Fianna <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Okay... need training help please.
>Firstly, when I first got her, all four reverted to their "what?  that
>corner is supposed to be a bathroom?" phase.

This is pretty typical behavior as far as I've seen, but it made me think
specifically of my roommate's ferret, Cosette, who goes through this
whenever we add a new pet (we have 5 ferrets and a new puppy)...she usually
takes that to be the time to start making messes in the *middle* of the
room.  This was only one similarity I noted between Trill and
Cosette...Adjustment time seems to be the best cure, coupled with extra
attention to everyone.

>However, Trill/Bear will always play for a few moments and then stop and g
>off to do something else.  Or she will come over and nip at me and bounce
>around like she wants to play and then the minute I go after her she runs
>off and seems terribly disinterested

Cosette also does this.  Even though she's not a kit anymore, she still has
never gotten the hang of the usual ferret games.  She plays, but differently.

This little fert sounds just like Cosette and especially when coupled with
sort of antisocial behavior mentioned in the next paragraph.  And then
this...which really made me think...

>All the other ferrets come running whenever I crinkle one of the thin
>plastic baggies that treats come in, or shake a can of Pounce.

Here's my question.  Have you ever considered that she may be deaf?  She
sounds like her behavior is very much like Cosette's was before we realized
she was deaf and started to adjust the way we related to/interacted with
her.

Even if she isn't deaf, sometimes the biggest joy of having ferrets is
having ones that aren't just like the others.  I love the way Cosette will
fix her attention on us because she can't hear us.  She will climb up on
objects and try to make eye contact and wait for visual cues.  Very cool.

I have enjoyed the challenges her special needs have presented.

Later.
Kelly
Reverend Maynard, Edie, Cosette (huh?), Static, and Magkij znak...
(and Dahlink' Sonar, the yorkie pup)...