From:
JT Speikn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:08:04 -0800
Hi FMLers,

First of all, thank you everyone for your continuing concern with Trina,
our shaking ferret.  Thank you Matthew,Terri,Isabelle, and Jacqueline for
your inputs and info on the last FML :)

The more we observe her, it seems to be what everybody's been saying - she
shakes to raise her body temperature up.  But along the side, we've been
concerned about the possibility of her having INSULINOMA, and we wanted to
learn about that before we took her to the vet.

So far, this is what we learned about INSULINOMA:
(correct us if we're wrong, please.  People not interested, sorry for
taking up the space)

1) Insulinomas are pancreatic beta-cell tumors
2) Common disease in pet ferrets in the US
3) Very high concentrations of insulin are in the bloodstream (in ferts
   w/Insulinoma).  This is the opposite phenomenon of diabetes.
4) High levels of insulin cause a very low blood sugar (glucose)
   concentration.
5) Organ most profoundly affectd by the lack of glucose is the brain.
6) Symptoms of insulinoma are caused by hypoglycemia.
7) Lethargy is normally the first indication that the disease is present.
8) An insulioma is often present in the ferret's body long before any
   symptoms surface.
9) Ferrets with insulinomas may seem depressed or weak.
10) Ferrets may drag themselves using oly their frotn legs, exhibiting a
    conditoi called "rear-leg weakness."  The low blood sugar results in
    an animal hat is too weak to walk properly.
11) Ferrets may hypersalivate, saliva can sometimes be seen dribbling out
    of their mouths.
12) Ferrets may paw at their mouths (looks like something's stuck in their
    teeth, and they're trying to get it out)
13) Ferret may lose weight, but weight loss is rare w/Insulinoma
14) If condition is severe, ferret may lapse into a coma
15) Ferret may shake more than usual (excluding after waking up), and even
    bob their heads up and dow.

By the way, most of the information I listed here were gathered from the
FERRETS magazine.  It notes that, upon observing the list of symptoms of
insulinoma, owners should be VERY careful with assessing the possibility
of the ferret being sick.  These symptoms are common with healthy ferrets,
too, and it's dangerous for the owners to exaggerate the possibility of
insulinoma.  For example, my ferrets both paw at their mouths, but they're
just grooming.

I don't want to make this too long, but if anybody is interested, I'll be
happy to give out a little info I gathered about medication and possible
surgery for this disease.  I don't have ALL the info, just a little.  If
many many people ask me for the facts, then I'll post it up on the next
FML.

Thank you everyone again, for the wonderful support :)  I try to reply to
everyone who writes, so if I don't, you can scruff me:)  Sometimes I need
to be  reminded

JT & Rena, Trina, Silver

JT & Rena
Trina the unpredictable lapferret
Silver the weiner dooker getting-there lapferret