Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 23:18:15 -0500
Melissa and the gang here,

I spent quite a bit of time after Potpie died going through old pictures
and postings to the FML.  I browsed through old anecdotes, past advice, and
past crises, and somewhere in there was a closing paragraph (that I will
paraphrase shortly) where, years ago, I summed up exactly what I am feeling
now.  Potpie was the first pet that I got the chance to raise, train, get
to know, and support on my own, and as such was always extra special to
me.  Reading my past postings served to remind me again of how much I've
appreciated having ferrets as companions these many years.  Years ago I
tried to offer words of comfort by saying that your departed pet companions
have left an indelible imprint on your and your life, and as such they
haven't really left you; what they taught you will be reflected in your
person and actions for years to come.  More bittersweet than comforting,
but, I feel, still true.

Anyway, continuing on, Friday and Puff (see www.monkey.org/~squirty/puff/)
still don't get along.  Oops.  However, I they grudgingly occupy the same
living room together, and I spend quality time with each; they slowly are
becoming less aggressive and seem to hate each other, if not less, in a
less physical fashion. :P

Puff seems to want to get along with cats, if her behavior towards
Bobokitty is any indication.  When Bobo is asleep in her cat bed, Puff
leaps onto the bed, figures out there's a CAT in the BED, starts
war-dancing, and then flings herself on Bobo.  And starts chewing.  It
really seems pretty friendly, but trying to explain that to a 17 yr old
cat is a bit difficult. :)  Puff's started to figure out that I disapprove,
so lately we've had less chewing and more sniffing.  This is good, as
Bobo's experience with ferrets for years has been limited to nose-sniffing
with Potpie, who wanted to leave Bobo alone as much as Bobo enjoyed being
left alone (well, not really - if Bobo's back was turned, Potpie would
thoughtfully consider the opportunity presented, and take it :).  But,
Bobo and Friday's sentiments aside, Puff is a charmer.  Also, she has white
toes!  Hee hee.

Melissa, Friday, Puff, and Bobo