From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:14:25 -0400
In our experience over the past ten years as a shelter, over the counter
(pet store) flea products are not safe for ferrets.  The drops that go on
the shoulder can be found in most pet product departments, but often cause
allergic reaction in ferrets.  This is not true of similar products which
can only be purchased through a veterinarian.  These include Program,
Advantage and Revolution.  We have used both Program and Advantage
extensively with excellent results and no negative reaction.  We have
not used Revolution but know that it has been tested on ferrets by the
manufacturer.  At this time, it is not officially sanctioned, so caution
is advised.  Only veterinarian-dispensed flea products are suggested for
ferrets as they are consistent in strength and come with complete
instructions on their use.  Over the counter flea products are notorious
for their adverse effects on ferrets and young animals such as kittens
and puppies.  As a vet tech, I have seen both kittens and ferrets
dies after having been accidentially overdosed with Hartz products in
particular.  Veterinary flea products come in small containers which help
to avoid overdosing.  More important, veterinary flea products come with
the professional advice of your vet.  Pet owners often dispair of flea
infestation and apply a heavy, and possibly fatal, dose of a strong flea
product.

One of the many disadvantages of Lupron in the treatment of adrenal disease
is that it may not be effective in the treatment of other serious illnesses
related to adrenal disease.  Case in point is the suspected prostate cyst
which can interrupt urine flow.  Yesterday's post reported the death of a
ferret from this secondary infection, after having apparently recovered
from adrenal disease through the use of Lupron.  Another such disease is
insulinoma and both of these are commonly seen in conjunction with adrenal
disease.  If these secondary illnesses are observed during adrenal gland
surgery, effective treatment can be initiated.  Ferret owners who select
Lupron instead of surgical removal of the adrenal gland(s) need to be
aware that leaving the tumor(s) in place can result in death due to these
secondary illnesses, even if the adrenal disease is supressed.

C. Kinsey, Ferret Rescue of the Western States, Colorado Springs