From:
Judy Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:39:10 -0500
Hi Everyone i just wanted to let everyone know that it helps to call on
animal control.  I have been dealing with a pet shop here in Sarasota Fl and
everytime we had gone in there there was no food or water.  and the ferrets
looked like they were ready to die.  We had gotten 4 ferrets from here all
which looked very bad and starving when we got them home.  The last one we
got was a baby.  guessing age on him was about 8 weeks old MF shouldn't have
sent him out that early but they did.  And they sent them to this guy that
was only feeding them at night.  Well if he closes at 7pm or 8 pm they go
from thhat time til the following night without food.So needless to say when
we got him home we put him near the food bowl he ate non stop for 15 mins.
this poor guy was so skinney.  I felt really bad for him.  So i got him on
some cat's milk and he was eating regular food also and now he is doing
great.  But it was bothering me that everytime we went in there there was
nothing in the cage at all.  So i told my hhusband we have given this man
enough time to get food in the cage and he failed to do so.  I just knew he
wasn't feeding them cause of the way they looked.  So i called animal
control and i am happy to say they went in twice and there was nothing in
the cage again so the lady told me they are going back and if no food and
water is there he WILL BE CHARGED with Animal ABUSE.  I don't feel bad at
all cause this guy was starving them and not only that everything else in
the pet store had everything they would need in a cage EXCEPT the ferrets,
this is very wrong.  It's not like he doesn't have the food or stuff to put
in the cage.  Animal control had to take one of the ferrets cause it bite
one of the officers that went to go check it out but he will be able to be
adopted soon.  They took that one cause he couldn't show health records on
it or any of the others in his care.  I talked to annimal control and they
said the ferret WILL NOT be put to sleep.  I told her he is better off with
them anyway cause he would get food.My ferrets I got from him look 100%
better now than when we got them.  two of them i had a feeling we might
loose them from malnutrition.  but thank god we didn't.  I am writting this
to let all of you know that If you go into a pet store and you see the same
thing going on.  I don't mean just one time cause we all know ferrets can
eat food all gone in a few mins. but i mean if you have gone in there
several times and no food or water is in there CALL someone for help it's
worth it.  It took animal control 1 hour to get to my house to take the
report and they were over to the pet store that afternoon.And the officer
told me that as soon as they got them they want to talk to me so they can
find out more about ferrets.So i have been doing alot of reading and getting
more books so they will know how to take care of them plus for me to know as
much as i can about mine.  After reading the FML and seeing serveral letters
about pet stores and how they are not taking care of them if you call and
report them just think you could save a ferrets life.  better yet alot more
ferrets than you realize.I didn't expect the pet store to take care of his
like i do mine but the pet stores HAVE to give them food and water NO matter
what... Sorry to go on and on about this but i just wanted to let everyone
know that has seen abuse in pet stores there is help out there.  Please
don't stand by and watch these helpless ferrets just die HELP THEM..  You
might be the only chance they have to live...... Thank you and sorry again
Give all your fuzzies hugs and kisses from our gang to yours bye for now
Judy

Tiger,Spike,Fudge,Snow White,Sneezy,Babe Bear,Noles