From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:55:12 -0400
Yesterday I had a sweet, gentle, sable girl dropped off.  Her leg is broken,
severely, to the point her foot doesn't seem attached anymore.  She is
scheduled for surgery today.

The man who dropped her off gave me several stories on how she was injured,
and several different answers to questions about her vaccination status.  Uh
huh.  She came to me as a referral from a vet.  The man had taken her in a
couple months ago to have the leg set.  The man took her home, and then
rather than confining her to allow the leg to heal, let her have the run of
the house with the broken leg, so it never set properly.  He claims the vet
now wanted $400 to surgically repair the leg, and for $400 he can "go out
and buy four healthy ferrets, so what do I want this one for?" He told me he
didn't really want her anyway, he was going to give her away before she
broke her leg.  Now the leg may need to be amputated.

I am just sick over the way this animal was treated.  I wanted to throttle
the guy and choke him until his eyeballs popped out of his head!
Additionally she was completely flea infested, even though she arrived damp
and smelling of flea shampoo.  Imagine how she was before the bath!  They
were even crawling out of her ears!  I take solice in that she is now safe
with people who care about her.

-Anne