From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 14:14:25 -0600
To everyone
A recent anon posting has urged me to share with everyone what I have
learned the hard way.  It is this.  You have the RIGHT to be with your
ferret when it is treated by a veterinarian.  You have a RIGHT to know the
experience and knowledge level that a particular veterinarian has with
treating ferrets.  You have the RIGHT to ask "How many ferrets do you
see/treat in a week, month?" You have the RIGHT to know what they are
planning to do to your ferret as far as treatment, tests etc, BEFORE they
treat him/her.  BE YOUR PET'S ADVOCATE and ask questions and do not be
afraid to ask many questions concerning the vets actions or intended actions
and DO NOT be afraid to say NO, I would rather not have that done, or I want
to think about that for a while or whatever you decide.  You have the RIGHT
to get a second opinion regarding any treatment or surgery your vet
suggests.  You have the RIGHT to ask WHY are you doing that?  You have the
RIGHT to know what vaccine the vet will use to vaccinate your ferret for
distemper and the RIGHT to have them explain why they use that vaccine, what
is the rate of adverse reactions when it is given to ferrets.  You have the
RIGHT to say "I want to wait at least 2 weeks between having my ferret
recieve the distemper and the rabies vaccine" You have the RIGHT to ask
"What would you do if my ferret has an adverse reaction or allergic reaction
to the vaccine you are going to give him/her?" You have the RIGHT to wait in
the vets office for 30 minutes to be sure your ferret is not having a bad
reaction to any vaccination he/she has been given.  You have a whole lot of
other rights.  This is your beloved friend.  --Jan