From:
Fulvio Biagioni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:19:16 +0100
Ciao to all,

let me put my 2 cents on this subject (yes, I learned this idiomatic
expression here, FML is not only a great source of knowledge on ferrets,
it is also improving my English !).  And you will excuse me if their Latin
name was already explained by somebody else before I subscribed to the
list.

"MUSTELA" doesn't need an explanation; "PUTORIUS" means "stinky" (and it
comes from their polecat origin); "FURO" means "thief".  So, isn't it
horrible that our beloved pets are considered by naturalists as "Stinky
thieves " ??!!

F  errets'
U  niversal
L  over