From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:48:37 -0700
If you want a "new" ferret why not check with a shelter first?  Looking
only for a young ferret?  Sometimes the shelters have young ferrets.  Our
shelter has a 6 month old female.  and 2 one year old males.  I am sure
others have them too... or could put you on a list or in contact with
someone else that may have one.

I understand that some people don't want older ferrets but sometimes they
are worth looking at.  They just might surprise you.  It's kinda like the
person who only wanted one ferret when they came to the shelter but fell
in love with a pair.  To this day I don't think she would have had it any
other way than with the two that she has.

Want a ferret that will snuggle with you?  Sometimes the older ferrets
are the best.  We have a pair of 4 year olds that are just the cutest.
Both love to snuggle...but they also love to play.  Younger ferrets don't
normally snuggle.  They just want to go all of the time.

A 2 or 3 year old ferret is great too.  They normally have been potty
trained and they are normally more behaved then a kit.  They have just as
much energy as a kit too!

Some people might have the impression that a ferret at a shelter has
something wrong with them.  Well, most of the time that isn't correct.
We have received several ferrets in just because of a change in life for
the owner.  There was nothing wrong with the ferret.  Right now just
about all of the ones in the shelter are great ferrets with no other
problems.  They get a long with other animals, with people and with
other ferrets.  They are only at the shelter because the owner just
couldn't or didn't want to take care of them anymore.

I have heard it said "for the adoption fee I could go and get a new
ferret".  Not here.  Let's see, our adoption fee is $75.00.  This is with
a vet check, and shots.  Plus any surgeries that the ferret had to have.
A kit at the store is between $99 - $125.  Once you buy the kit you have
to get the series of shots plus the vet fee.  This price can be anywhere
from $40 - $80.  (plus private breeders do not normally spay/neuter or
descent the ferret)

I do understand why some people would rather have a kit.  You get to
start out "fresh" and teach them from the beginning.  I also know that
our 6 month old ferret is in the shelter because that is what her owners
did, then the found out they didn't know how to train her to stop biting.

Some of the private breeders, like West Valley Wuzzles, do go through a
screening process just like the shelters do.  They care about the ferrets
and want to ensure that they don't end up in a shelter.  Not all private
breeders are like that.

My advice would be to start with a shelter in your area.  You can check
on this link to find one:
http://www.geocities.com/ferretlover96/ferrets/SOS-ShelterList.html If
the link or email is bad, just email SOS and ask them if they have any
information about shelters in your area.

If you want to buy a ferret, just know what you are getting into with the
cost and the training involved.

I believe that all ferrets deserve a wonderful home, whether it is from a
shelter, a private breeder or a pet store.

Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz