From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:15:58 +0800
 Sukie wrote:
>"***reduce*** protein (a person here recently had a NON-vet give
>wrong advice on this score but the individual had already had spoken
>with enough vets and kidney experts to know better)"

My vets maintain that a diet that includes good quality protein and no carbs
is best for chronic and acute renal failure in ferrets so I'm not convinced
that a sweeping statement that encourages restricting protein is very safe
advice.

I guess the important thing is that there are *degrees* of renal failure and
people need to listen to their vets and, depending on the ferret's blood
tests, follow a diet that improves its particular condition.

Unfortunately, the following links refer to dogs because there are no
studies available for ferrets.  Because both are carnivores, I would presume
that the same principles apply.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010308065032/http://www.jivaonlinecom/html/dietary_management_of_clinical.html
[Neither full nor partial link doesn't work for me.  BIG]

Dietary Protein and the Kidney

Recent research on dietary protein and the kidney has shown that

a.. dietary protein does not cause renal failure

b.. dietary protein does not appear to be involved in the progression of
chronic renal failure

c.. inappropriate restriction of dietary protein may actually have an
adverse effect on the normal or compromised kidney

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1104
"The myth that high-protein diets are harmful to kidneys probably started
because, in the past, patients with kidney disease were commonly placed on
low-protein (and thus low-nitrogen) diets. Now we often put them on a diet
that is not necessarily very low in protein but contains protein that is
more digestible so there are fewer nitrogen by-products."

http://www.purina.com/dogs/magazine.asp?article=256
"In contrast, research over the past 10 years or so has shown that protein
does not harm the kidney of dogs. In studies conducted at the University of
Georgia in the early 1990s, both in dogs with chronic kidney failure and in
older dogs with only one kidney, protein levels as high as 34 percent caused
no ill effects. . . . In other studies, David S. Kronfeld, Ph.D., indicated
that compared with high- or low-protein diets, moderate-protein diets, those
with up to 34 percent protein, had no ill effects in dogs with chronic renal
failure and were associated with general improvement."

http://web.archive.org/web/20011215124346/acmepet.petsmart.com/content/health/senior.html
"Because of certain biochemical requirements, the healthy geriatric dog
requires about 50 percent more protein than the young adult, and depending
on the quality of the protein, it should make up 20 percent to 30 percent
of the total calories ingested. . . .

Until recently, protein restriction was recommended in an effort to protect
renal function. Limiting protein fails to prevent urinary filtration
problems associated with glomerular hyperfusion and hypertension in the
nephrons (where filtration occurs). Indeed, newer research shows dietary
protein is not detrimental to kidney function.7 On the contrary, protein
restriction can result in impaired wound healing, diminished immune function
and lowered enzyme activities and cellular turnover. Those dogs with
impaired renal function do better with dietary phosphorus restriction;
however, limiting this mineral is unlikely to delay the onset of renal
disease or to benefit healthy geriatric dogs."

http://www.purina.com/images/articles/pdf/NutritionandRenalFunction.pdf

"Dietary Protein and Renal Function: Results of multiple studies indicated
that there were no adverse effects of the high protein diets."