From:
Nicole Laidacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:09:41 -0700
Let me take a moment to thank you to all who have posted apologies and
uplifting posts recently before I get too far into this and you stop
reading.  I know I may take heat for this, but I can hold my peace no
longer.  The fighting on this list is getting out of control.  In light
of the current situations and discussions I am wording this as carefully
as possible, so please bear with me.  Everyone on this list is completely
entitled to their opinion, and since it is their opinion they are
probably passionate about it.  This is NOT a bad thing.  The world needs
more people who are passionate, because the younger generations are way
too passive.  I am a member of the "y" generation and tend to be horribly
disillusioned by their consistent apathy and lack of empathy.  So to me,
passion is a plus!

This in-fighting is destroying people who may want to show in the future
and hurting the cause of the shows... the shelters.  It is tearing apart
this community, when we really need to be banded together to help both
the animals AND the people in this disaster.  If I could afford it I
would be down there already helping.  But I can't take off work and I
have all but no money.  I packed my lunch the past two weeks with Ramon
so I could send 10 dollars to the 5000th fund to help the pets.  I
donated the money I would have used to go out this month and sent it to
Katrina.  My job is begging for volunteers to head down to rebuild our
stores destroyed, but they cant offer a place to stay or food or gas...
and I am dying to go.  Just to do my part.  I haven't felt this helpless
since 9-11.  But at least I have finally contacted all friends and family
down there, and they are all okay.  Some of them did not evacuate because
they said it didn't seem like it was going to be that bad.  I think we
need to focus on the overall devastation.  These people lost homes, jobs,
loved ones, pets, money, and EVERYTHING that meant anything to them.
Yes, some could have evacuated and didn't.  Each family has a story.

My family agreed that most stayed to loot and laughed at me when I still
cried for them.  Even the looters suffered and are suffering.  Put them
into jail and make them pay for their crimes, but don't let them to die
as that is cruel beyond words.  If mass murders and rapists get a gentle
death, then someone who looted should get at least that.  Many of the
initial looters were getting food and supplies and technically it was
still wrong, but please don't tell me you wouldn't have tried to save
your family by doing it, because I think we would both know that wasn't
true.  The only people in that area I have no sympathy for are the ones
killing rescue workers and emergency personnel, but then I am married to
a cop.  I think we just need to have more compassion and understanding
with each other right now.  We need to re-read our e-mails several times
before we send them.  This is a time to work together, leaving pettiness
about differences behind.

Please continue to disagree, that is what makes this world interesting,
but please just don't be mean or nasty or call names, as this does not
accomplish anything but making the person seem petty and strips the
importance of their statements away.  But that is just MY opinion and
can be taken or left as you see fit.

Sincere prayers and good wishes to all doing whatever they can to help...
and I agree prayers and good thoughts are helpful.

Nicole

If you want to flame me, please e-mail me privately.  I would prefer to
be the only person subjected to it.  There is already enough on the fml
as it is.  You don't even have to sign the e-mail.  Thank you.

BIG- thank you for everything you do!  I don't envy your job one bit but
am so glad you do it!!!!